Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The right gps for me

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Default The right gps for me

Does anyone know of a good gps to use deer hunting? I would like one that shows memy stands and other things.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The right gps for me

I have the Garmin 60CSx. This is a good GPS, top of the line. Maybe too much for what you need. Make sure you get a WAAS enabled GPS. Go to the Cabela website, TigerGPS, or any other outdoor website and you will find one in the price range you want. The more expensive ones have more features but those features are not really needed. Personally I think Garmin makes the best GPS.

How much money can you spend on a GPS. They go from $100 to $600.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with savage. I have the 60CSx and use it for both driving and hunting.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Garmin Vista loaded with topo maps. Do yourself a favor and get a map useable unit and the software to load all the maps you need. It really makes a difference.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the unit for you. Disigned specifically for hunters. I have one, it does great on road trips, and does so much for me in the field. Unbelivable unit.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/iFINDER-Hunt-C/
Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM

X3 for the Garmin 60CSx. I used a Magellen before and it would have a hard time getting satellites if it was cloudy. There are other GPS's out there that have neat little icons for points but you don't really need them. The 60CSx might be more than you need, but I would rather have it and not need it.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM

I have used Magellan, Lowrance, and Garmin .... I will only buy Garmin from now on. I believe they are that much better. I have been using them for about 13 years now , and most any unit will show you what you want when you store the stand locations as waypoints. I currently have the Garmin GPS 72 and it does everything you need, except it does not have Built in mapping, or topo maps. I Use Delorme topo USA 5.0 for mapping on my laptop. I them print out topo maps of my entire lease , with the stand, food plot, feeder and water locations all marked up. I also have the complete boundary lines of my lease on the map. All my members can always know exactly where they are, and where everyone lese is too.

Buy Garmin .... I honestly believe them to be the best made. Most any unit except the very base unots will do what you need it to.

MET

Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM

I have the garmin 60csx as well and it works good. I am interested in the bushnell that shows the aerial/topo/waypoint overlays. The Onyx i believe.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of these units are out of my budget.Does anyone have the Garmin Venture HC?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have had about every brand of GPS you can think of and the Lowrance wins every time. You can pick up an I-finder on ebay for well under $100 easy, larger screen than most garmins Magellan's ect.......The new Magellan Triton's are pretty good too, but they are around $129 and up but they do have a color screen but much smaller than the Lowrance I-finder. During the thick cover of Spring Turkey season I never loss reception and you can upload maps to it if is has an SD card slot and they are way more detailed than the MapSource for the Garmins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.