Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

white oak trees

Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 AM

Default RE: white oak trees

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

I usually find a tree downwind nearby, or sit on a trail leading in.
I agree also if you set in the food source tree you may find yourself surrounded by deer at dark with more coming in after dark often the bigger bucks. You need a stand which will allow you to enter and leave the area without interference with the feeding deer......
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: white oak trees

Everyone's got some good points...

I would try to find the best trail that comes from a bedding area to this oak tree or hardwood "transition" line, prefferably in thicker cover and of course downwind.
This is what experts consider a "staging" area, and it will probably have a better chance to hold a mature Deer.
Most "smart" mature Deer will hold tight into these "staging" areas until dark, so if you just want to shoot a Deer then anywhere down wind will probably work.
If your specifically going after a mature Deer (Buck), then be patient and look foir these staging areas off of a food source like the popular whit oak.
When I suggest being patient, it means let the little bucks go bye, and soon enough you may be rewarded with the king of the woods!