Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent-Lok or not?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent-Lok or not?

i am more concerned about the comfort of the clothes, practicing scent control,and minding the wind. With gas prices as high as they are now i would rather put the extra cash in my tank to go hunting then into the clothes.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Biggestcrock of crap ever created to separate a Hunter from his money!
You definately DO NOT need it!
x2
Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Biggestcrock of crap ever created to separate a Hunter from his money!
You definately DO NOT need it!
x2
See up until now the other responses were rational and helpful, then the anti's chime in!
I stand in the I don't think you need it but it does help a little column!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

not, shower with dirt soap and keep clothes outside in a tote with some pine needle and leaves.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Spike

there has been manystudiesdone on this subject, picture scent-loc clothing like a sponge. a spongecan only soak up so much water before it is full and cannot soak up any more. well the carbon does soak up scent and starts doing so the minute it is made. then it sits and sits soaking up scents until a hunter walks into a store and buys the item,by the time the hunter has purchased the item, it is likethat sponge that is full and cannot soak up any more. they have everyone fooled into thinking that the heat from a household dryer re-activates the carbon. it takes MUCH MORE heat than a dryer can produce to re-activate carbon. just like JagMagMan said...BIGGEST SCAM to seperate hunters from their money!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The dryer while not re-activating the carbon in the suit does however drive off enough scent to render the garment useful again. Re-activation was a poor choice of words on their part and has gotten them into some trouble. Don't confuse absorb (sponge) with adsorb (scent lock). Absorbing odors just means the sponge gets stinky, adsorbtion does not allow the stink to escape. Heat drives off some of the loosely adsorbed molecules of scent, a sponge which has dried will still stink. I don't think it's foolproof but it does help some and I for one will take all the help I can get, I also wear the silver ion impregnated baselayers,shower and pay close attention to all other aspects of scent control. You cannot sweat all day and put on a scent lock garment, forget the wind and just hunt. All aspects of scent control are important starting with the showering and laundering of all your clothing. Just my $.02
Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I think that if you are in the market for some new camo and you can get a really good deal then go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't go out and buy new stuff just for the Scent-Lok.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 AM

It's not 100%. But it does work , IF USED PROPERLY.
It won't work if you don't use the headcover. That's a key component.
You still need to follow common sense scent control practice's .
Is it Necessary, No , it's not. But when you are terying to fool a big buck , every little bit helps.
I've said it b4 , and I'll stand by it my statement....Since I've started using SL , I have not been busted. I use it PROPERLY.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

In my opinion they should have their coats and pants available without scent-lok for the nay sayers like me. The stuff is all hype, but the comfort of the clothing is very nice. Ive tried it on a few times, and actually almost purchased it just for the comfort reasons. I cant see spending $150-250 for a coat, but i would buy it for $80 for oneminus the scent-lok.

I did buy the new Red Head endura-skin base layerstuff this year to see how it works. Its the silver threadtechnology stuff. Id rather try the 0 maintenence "scent free" stuff than the stuff you have to maintain.....Not to mention if it cuts scent its right at the source (your body) rather than an outer layer.

Its amazing that anyone ever killed a deer without scent-lok and all the new stuff we have available. 90% of the stuff you see on tv and magazines the guys could have killed the deer with a sharp stick and a rock let alone a 30-06. All the hunting stuff on tvis justone big infomercial for scent-lok, bullets, guns, optics, and whatever hunting ranch they are on....Im sure the stuff does cut away some scent...it is extremly comfortable to wear as well, but im not a believer, nor am i going to buy it.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

you don't need Scent Lok to kill big bucks as seen on T.V., just book an outfitter that does all the work for you just like every T.V. show does. on the properties hunted on T.V. you could probally get away with wearing a used Mcdonalds uniform and still kill a 200" whitetail.

Quick Reply: Scent-Lok or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.