HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what type of hunter are you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/253922-what-type-hunter-you.html)

bayou_buckslayer 07-22-2008 10:45 AM

what type of hunter are you?

just wondering what type of hunters are in this forum there is the redneck hunters (dont realy care) respectful hunters, (dont abuse their authority and have respect yet share a passion to hunt and dont mind killing deer but have self control) and a hunter who doesnt care (spotlights, kills yearlings, has no sensitivety)
no offense to any hunters out there we all share the same passion deer hunting im not talking about hippys or heartless people just ur opinion of how you feel about deer hunting

bdosas 07-22-2008 12:41 PM

RE: what type of hunter are you?

Under those criteria I would say I am a respectful hunter.

Lanse couche couche 07-22-2008 12:44 PM

Somehow i don't imagine that you are gonna get many folks on here admitting to being A or C out of the options.

buckmaster 07-22-2008 12:45 PM

Im charging my spotlight as we speak.

texas8point 07-22-2008 12:48 PM

Let me start by saying I have a little of allof these in me.......and I love the term"redneck hunter" but not in the same way you used it. I love to run and party with my boys, 4 wheel and tear sh*t up, But I love to hunt and not afraid to shoot a smaller deer if it fits the situation,I/we do some management andlove nature. I do follow the laws, but Im also not afraid to do what I want. Im your best friend if you respect my family and my stuff..........

TexasBowHunter 07-22-2008 12:48 PM

I consider myself the type of hunter that enjoys hunting with family and friends, spends as much time in the woods as I am allotted. I truly love thearchery side of hunting and bringing kidsas well as other into the sport. I am the type of hunter that was brought up hunting in a camp where poker and beer were more important than the actual hunt, once on my own I took up archery and have taken hunting to a whole different level than I ever knew as a kid growing up. I take hunting very serious but still have a good time bringing my spouse and children into the sport, it is more of a way of life for us these days, our holidays and vacations are planned aroundthe seasons...I have recently found thatthe experience of huntingwith my children and getting them a deer is more rewarding any game I have taken.

highlonesome 07-22-2008 01:40 PM

I started bird dogging as a kid in Indiana. Hunting was a big deal on my Aunts farm. We learned how to clean our game before we got to shoot. If someone got a deer it was a very big deal. Hunting is a generational thing with me. My kids learned the same as I did. Now that I am on the management side of things, i try and cater to families and young hunters. Last year we had some young people get some really fine deer. To me this in more important than trying to make as much $$ as possible.

whitetaildreamer 07-22-2008 01:42 PM

I would be classified as the freezer hunter. Being in the woods is a truly spiritual experience for me. The bonus to my hobby/sport is the ultimate rewardbeing themeat that my family enjoys through out the year. I hunt bow, ML, and rifle so the first two are concentrated on putting meat in the freezer. Nice big fat does are very tastey. During rifle I may becomemore selective but the bottem line is I've got 4 tags to fill.

adirondackhunter 07-23-2008 04:11 PM

I enjoy hunting i take 6 weeks off from work.Early in the seasons i watch the young bucks and doesgo by ,as my seasons isclose to getting over i will shoot a big doe for meat."Where legal"

millerhunter13 07-23-2008 04:16 PM

I guess a respectful hunter, but everyone who knows me says i am a redneck, so i am a redneck hunter, just not the way you described it.

wisbowhunter2009 07-23-2008 04:43 PM

I love to hunt, barely miss any days, so i'd say im a respectful hunter, up in my woods its hard to get a buck over 125" but i made my goal 2 years ago that i'd shoot 2 small bucks and thats it for a long time, so now im stuck on shooting bigger bucks and im proud of it..

refross 07-23-2008 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bayou_buckslayer

a hunter who doesnt care (spotlights, kills yearlings, has no sensitivety)

I object to your assertion that taking a yearling is a hunter that doesn’t care! And what exactly is a sensitive hunter? Am I supposed to cry as I field dress my yearling doe?

I don’t buy into the mucho B.S. that you have to take a PRODUCTIVE doe, or a musk poisoned buck. I hunt for meat, and I take the best meat available, and it has the least impact on the herd.

Icetrey 07-24-2008 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Charger? I plug mine in to the cig lighter in the truck that way if the spotlight isnt enough I can just flip on the headlights:D
Just kiddin guys. I wwould consider myself a redneck hunter but not like that. But to most Im seen as a redneck just for hunting, period.

jrbsr 07-24-2008 06:30 AM

just wondering what type of hunters are in this forum there is the redneck hunters (dont realy care) respectful hunters, (dont abuse their authority and have respect yet share a passion to hunt and dont mind killing deer but have self control) and a hunter who doesnt care (spotlights, kills yearlings, has no sensitivety)
no offense to any hunters out there we all share the same passion deer hunting im not talking about hippys or heartless people just ur opinion of how you feel about deer hunting

redneck hunters (dont realy care)

Redneck does not = (dont realy care)

Redneck = people that work for a living.
The red neck comes from working outsidein the sun.

(dont realy care) = Bad hunters & Trashy people.

So Please don't put Redneck & (dont realy care) in the same sentence.

Thank You

jrbsr

I am the type of hunter that respects the law.
And fair chase, I leave the land better than I found it.

bryant1 07-24-2008 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Charger? I plug mine in to the cig lighter in the truck that way if the spotlight isnt enough I can just flip on the headlights:D
Just kiddin guys. I wwould consider myself a redneck hunter but not like that. But to most Im seen as a redneck just for hunting, period.

I am a dog hunter, which automatically seems to make me a redneck by everyone. I am a law-abiding hunter but i do have 2 spotlights hanging out of my truck alot during the early morning. Pointed towards the ground looking for deer tracks:). I would call myself somewhere in between your types.

heeze gutshot shortee 07-24-2008 01:45 PM

I just try toput em on the ground...legal-like....."start the clock"

bowmanaj 07-24-2008 02:04 PM

I'm the most respectful redneck this side of the Ohio

Rebel Hog 07-24-2008 02:08 PM

I'm a Redneck Respectful Non-Caring Hunter!

heeze gutshot shortee 07-24-2008 02:09 PM

HUSH HAWG

Seif5034 07-25-2008 02:21 PM

i'm mostly respectful

bigpapa 07-25-2008 02:36 PM

I'm usualy the respectful hunter but if a BIG ARSE 10 point walks out on me the week after I filled my buck tags the red neck in me would be hard to keep at bay.

Hunter20084 07-26-2008 08:44 AM

i am a hunter who sits up in a tree stan or on the ground and loves just being out in the woods i dont care if i kill a deer that day or not

WBowhunt 07-26-2008 10:02 AM

It's about the hunt, not the horns for me. I really just enjoy getting out with friends. Last year was the first year in more than 20 years that I didn't harvest a deer during bow season and yet I would have to say it was one of best seasons ever.

gtownbuckbuster 07-26-2008 06:45 PM

id say im respectful. i hav passed up many does and a few buck to kill only a few select does. however i do spot light just not with ammo, only to see the deer and see whats in the area

Siman08/OH 07-26-2008 09:20 PM

Im the kind of hunter who has big goals for their hunting "Career". Im off to a pretty good start, (4 deer in the last 2 years), and this is the year i will have the most time to devote to hunting. I make sure to be very respectfull while hunting, and my exerience shows that most hunters are great guys with lots of stories to tell.

mcraddock 07-27-2008 07:48 AM

I'm a redneck, white-trash, gun-out-the-window, low down, dirty poacher that kills anything unlucky enough to get in my crosshairs while glowing in my spotlight.

Who the hell admits that ona forum?

jmccoy_77 07-28-2008 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: texas8point

Let me start by saying I have a little of allof these in me.......and I love the term"redneck hunter" but not in the same way you used it. I love to run and party with my boys, 4 wheel and tear sh*t up, But I love to hunt and not afraid to shoot a smaller deer if it fits the situation,I/we do some management andlove nature. I do follow the laws, but Im also not afraid to do what I want. Im your best friend if you respect my family and my stuff..........
+1

Win.88 07-28-2008 06:02 AM

Mostly respectful,I have tresspassed.Never poached,but have considered it when the opportunity presented itself.AlsoIrespect the animal.I only needed to use more than 1 bullet once.I like that 1 shot kill.

SouthernStrut56 07-28-2008 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

Thank You

jrbsr

I agree man, don't assume all rednecks are disrespectful lawbreaking outlaws. That makes me madder than anything. I am an ethical and respectful redneck deer and turkey hunter who refuses to poach on someone elses property.It's wrong and it's a good way to get shot down here. Poachers and lawbreakers are TRASH, not rednecks, and likejrbsr said, pleasedon'tgroup hardworking rednecks with TRASH.

bryant1 07-28-2008 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

Thank You

jrbsr

I agree man, don't assume all rednecks are disrespectful lawbreaking outlaws. That makes me madder than anything. I am an ethical and respectful redneck deer and turkey hunter who refuses to poach on someone elses property.It's wrong and it's a good way to get shot down here. Poachers and lawbreakers are TRASH, not rednecks, and likejrbsr said, pleasedon'tgroup hardworking rednecks with TRASH.
I AGREE[8D]

fastetti 07-29-2008 09:34 AM

I think the person who started this thread didn't think about the terms that well. I'm a northern boy so im not def. nota redneck, but I know many people who are and don't classify them as "Don't really care" hunters. Also, the whole with shootingyearlings thing I think is way off. Ive shot yearling does before, I call it population control. When you need to get deer out of an overpoplated herd, a yearling doe will do just fine. Plus, that is the deer I usually make steaks out of. Nice and tender. I saw a few does last year with twin button bucks. There is no way I was taking that doe out. It was probably just luck that she had 2 bucks, but you never know. Overall I get what this guy was trying to start a thread about, but his terminology might have been a little off. I hope since most of us are trying to spread our knowlege we are all ethical sportman and for the most part it seems that way.

rybohunter 07-29-2008 09:46 AM

When I read the first post I was half afraid to read the replies. It could have gotten ugly. I think terminologies differ from region to region. I think a lot of misconceptions are in that first post, but as time goes on hopefully those will clear up.

As for me, I just go out and hunt. I follow the laws, take meat for the freezer & racks for the wall.

D Rock 07-29-2008 07:18 PM

There is one type of hunter that I hate to run into. The "Weekend Warrior", the guys who come into the sporting goods store that I work at on Friday afternoon before the shotgun opener to buy a Mossberg 500 and 2 boxes of slugs. Their idea of sighting in their gun is shooting at the first deer that walks by at 70 yards. I run into more of these types of hunters than I care to remember. I am not saying that every hunter who has limited huntingtime is a bad hunter, but I just don't feel safe being in the woods with guys like this. To answer the question though, I am a respectful hunter that sees balance in everything.

Win.88 07-29-2008 08:58 PM

Yes, D Rock,balance.Hope your statement smoothes this thread.

bayou_buckslayer 07-31-2008 10:16 AM

i love the deer meat and i get excited about when i kill a deer and i love goofin around and just having a fun time in the woods i take it seriusly most of the time but sometimes i just enjoy being in the woods with friends, cousins, ext... i ama sensitive hunter i guess i just don kill small deer to me its about the outdoors and the meat

Kybuckhunter 07-31-2008 09:24 PM

A person will be the same kind of hunter as they are a person. You don't climb out of your skin and become something different once you put on camo. You will just reflect who you are in everyday life.

mossberghunter93 08-01-2008 11:16 AM

well im respectfull but i if i see a trophy off the edge of my property im still gonna take the shot

M.R. Bucks 08-03-2008 03:13 AM

I like filling the freezer but I do it with in the laws of the state that I hunt. I used to let them go till the nieghbors didn't

Bubba123 08-03-2008 12:57 PM

"Let me start by saying I have a little of allof these in me.......and I love the term"redneck hunter" but not in the same way you used it. I love to run and party with my boys, 4 wheel and tear sh*t up, But I love to hunt and not afraid to shoot a smaller deer if it fits the situation,I/we do some management andlove nature. I do follow the laws, but Im also not afraid to do what I want. Im your best friend if you respect my family and my stuff.........."

by:texas8point

-that is the same exact approach i take to hunting, but id say the only difference is that i dont tear sh*t up on my 4wheeler haha