HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what type of hunter are you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/253922-what-type-hunter-you.html)

fastetti 07-29-2008 09:34 AM

RE: what type of hunter are you?

I think the person who started this thread didn't think about the terms that well. I'm a northern boy so im not def. nota redneck, but I know many people who are and don't classify them as "Don't really care" hunters. Also, the whole with shootingyearlings thing I think is way off. Ive shot yearling does before, I call it population control. When you need to get deer out of an overpoplated herd, a yearling doe will do just fine. Plus, that is the deer I usually make steaks out of. Nice and tender. I saw a few does last year with twin button bucks. There is no way I was taking that doe out. It was probably just luck that she had 2 bucks, but you never know. Overall I get what this guy was trying to start a thread about, but his terminology might have been a little off. I hope since most of us are trying to spread our knowlege we are all ethical sportman and for the most part it seems that way.

rybohunter 07-29-2008 09:46 AM

When I read the first post I was half afraid to read the replies. It could have gotten ugly. I think terminologies differ from region to region. I think a lot of misconceptions are in that first post, but as time goes on hopefully those will clear up.

As for me, I just go out and hunt. I follow the laws, take meat for the freezer & racks for the wall.

D Rock 07-29-2008 07:18 PM

There is one type of hunter that I hate to run into. The "Weekend Warrior", the guys who come into the sporting goods store that I work at on Friday afternoon before the shotgun opener to buy a Mossberg 500 and 2 boxes of slugs. Their idea of sighting in their gun is shooting at the first deer that walks by at 70 yards. I run into more of these types of hunters than I care to remember. I am not saying that every hunter who has limited huntingtime is a bad hunter, but I just don't feel safe being in the woods with guys like this. To answer the question though, I am a respectful hunter that sees balance in everything.

Win.88 07-29-2008 08:58 PM

Yes, D Rock,balance.Hope your statement smoothes this thread.

bayou_buckslayer 07-31-2008 10:16 AM

i love the deer meat and i get excited about when i kill a deer and i love goofin around and just having a fun time in the woods i take it seriusly most of the time but sometimes i just enjoy being in the woods with friends, cousins, ext... i ama sensitive hunter i guess i just don kill small deer to me its about the outdoors and the meat

Kybuckhunter 07-31-2008 09:24 PM

A person will be the same kind of hunter as they are a person. You don't climb out of your skin and become something different once you put on camo. You will just reflect who you are in everyday life.

mossberghunter93 08-01-2008 11:16 AM

well im respectfull but i if i see a trophy off the edge of my property im still gonna take the shot

M.R. Bucks 08-03-2008 03:13 AM

I like filling the freezer but I do it with in the laws of the state that I hunt. I used to let them go till the nieghbors didn't

Bubba123 08-03-2008 12:57 PM

"Let me start by saying I have a little of allof these in me.......and I love the term"redneck hunter" but not in the same way you used it. I love to run and party with my boys, 4 wheel and tear sh*t up, But I love to hunt and not afraid to shoot a smaller deer if it fits the situation,I/we do some management andlove nature. I do follow the laws, but Im also not afraid to do what I want. Im your best friend if you respect my family and my stuff.........."

by:texas8point

-that is the same exact approach i take to hunting, but id say the only difference is that i dont tear sh*t up on my 4wheeler haha