HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   new gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/253841-new-gun.html)

jmac33 07-21-2008 06:07 PM

new gun

my buddy got me a mossburg .270 rifle. never had a rifle before any suggestions on what ammo i should use for deer. any feedback is appreciated! thanks

GOOD HUNTING

CommonSense 07-21-2008 06:34 PM

RE: new gun

Any of the cheap factory ammo from Winchester, Remington, or Federal, will do just fine for deer hunting.

timbercruiser 07-21-2008 08:23 PM

I prefer a bonded bullet, and I use Hornady 140 gr in my .270,

Colorado Luckydog 07-21-2008 08:23 PM

Federal just came out with a 110 grain shell that shoots flat as any factory 22.250 shell out there. I'm gonna use it on antelopes this year. It should make a great round for smaller whitetail. If you are planning on shooting deer that are a little larger, any of the 130 grain shells should work. I've been having very good groups with the Federal vital shock. Good Luck!

kellyguinn 07-21-2008 09:06 PM

I prefer a bonded bullet. The Fusion is a pretty good cheap bullet. Pretty much any made by Federal are a good bet. I would stay away from the Winchester Ballistic Silver tips but that is just my opinion. I lost two deer in one seasonwithmy 7mag. The bullet would disintegrate at impact with no penetration. This was a few years ago and I believe the had a recall on them but they have already lost my trust. Good luck with your new rifle.

Ldiebo13 07-22-2008 01:33 AM

ive had great luck with winchester supreme Ballistic silver tip. ive never had to track a deer when shooting this ammo they have fallen where they have stood. But to each his one i would try a couple diffrent brands and see which shoot the best out of that particular gun.

whitetaildreamer 07-22-2008 02:14 AM

What ever manufacturer of cartridge you choose, I would stick to the 140 gr. bullet with the .270. I prefer bullets with the boat tail design. They are made for cals. with higher velocities and have worked well for me in my .270.

thndrchiken 07-22-2008 07:07 AM

Buy several boxes of ammo of different manufacter and bullet weights and see which your gun likes best. For deer hunting you really won't need more than a 130gr bullet. I have also had outstanding perfomance with the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips in my 06. Every deer shot dropped on the spot. My 270 WSM shoots the 140 gr sst's and accubond's to the same point of impact.

SouthernStrut56 07-22-2008 07:56 AM

Same here with the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. I've used 'em in my 7mm-08 as long as I'ved owned the gun, about 7 or8 years now. No tracking deer with these bullets, they mean business.

nchawkeye 07-22-2008 07:58 AM

My brother and his son use the Federal Premium 130gr Sierra GameKing and have killed about 100 deer with them, they seem to do a good job and group well in their Remington 700 and their Ruger M-77...