Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Road hunters in your area?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Road hunters in your area?

I don't see too many road hunters around here (I'm too far in the woods), but I have heard that a lot of the locals around here engage in poaching. Matter of fact last year there was a guy who got caught shooting a buck at night from the road......it was a big one too, kinda makes you sick.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Road hunting is a big problem here in Southeast Oklahoma ! What makes it worse is it's not limited to the deer season, spring and summer it don't matter !
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the feeling Okie,our family place is in south central Okla. and with the Barnett Shale field there's alot of migrant labor! They come parts where they think they can shoot across fences...they do it with my bro watching they will have year round a/c in their truck! If it isn't the tourist hunters it's the meth heads on quads at night![:@]
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Its pretty bad in the part I hunt. Dec. 2006, I was walking along a creek 200 yards from a road just getting ready to step into the timber to push for my buddy, when about a dozen deer came running towards me. I dropped to a knee, aimed my rifle at a nice buck when all of a sudden I heard a shot. I looked up to see a red Chevy s-10 full of guys who had shot at these deer from their truck. I didn't know whether I should duck or shoot back. I had on a full orange vest and hat. More than enough to be seen in a green winter wheat field. I took off running toward the road to confront the guys and they took off. I recognized who it was and told a deputy sheriff. He told me he's done worse than that like it was no big deal. Its sad when I cannot even peacefully hunt on MY OWN LAND without being in a dangerous and possibly deadly position. Its those kind of folk who give us all a bad rap.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

From vehicles - very little. Since there is very little pasture land in southern WV, it is just not a big problem you see around here.

From ATV's - quite a bit. I know guys that just ride around looking for deer during hunting season and especially during the rut. I love ATV's, but I hate the road hunting.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys around here take a 410 shotgun remove the pellets from the shell, shove an arrow down the barrel and fire away. Then they take the deer and register it as a bow kill. Never seen it just here about it!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Yea in NY theres always a few outlaw road hunters around .
Acouple years ago my brother was hunting a corn field that connected to woods , nearby behind him was a secondary road that was abought 200 yards or so from him ,
He was there abought an hr and a deer apeared out from the woods and walked into the cut corn field .
He didnt have the best of scopes and couldnt see if it was a buck or doe so he didnt shoot ,
Afew minutes later a truck comes down the road and he heres a shot ,
He said it scared the crap out of him .
The youg guy shot almost derectly from behind him .
T he guy ended up killing the deer .
My brother was realy pissed and walked over to confront the guy .
My brother new who he was and told him it dam well better be a buck or hes getting turned in .
The gut drives his truck down in the corn field and burried his truck to the frame .
After my brother gave him a piece of his mind ans walked away .
The land is privetly owned but the owner doesnt usualy care who hunts it .
Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 AM

We have a lot of crazy stuff going on during IL Shotgun season in my area. Road hunters are pretty common.I know a guy whoshot a deer from the bed of a truck driving ona well traveledhighway on opening morning before sun-up [:@]. People just plain go nuts when Shotgun deer season starts here.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Spot

Not so much right around here, we're pretty far back in the hills. What we have out here is not nearly so dangerous, but still not so good. Around here the farm boys sit in their trucks and drink beer, occasionally moving from one field to another...

They shoot some deer, too.
+1