Thank You jrbsr" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How Do You Build A Deer Camp ? >

How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

Theres no deer camps close or any where near here.

So could some one Please tell me whats involved in,
and what, and how you go about building/making a deer camp ?

If you can't find one make one, Right ?

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 07-19-2008, 01:35 PM

Default RE: How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2364699&mpage=1

Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thank You TimberCreek.

Now how is a deer camp run ?
Or how is it operated ?

I have never seen or been to a deer camp, and I have no idea how they work.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Need to be more specific?Owner of the property manages and sets the rules? If the owner lets you hunt free, then most people pitch in together and pay his property taxes. Are you asking who cooks breakfast and who cooks dinner? Who buys the food? not sure what your looking for?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 PM

The way I understand most around here are run like clubs. With bylaws that state the rules of the club. Everything from behavior to discipline when an infraction occurs to new members. Some even have officers. They have meetings to plan things out like work weekends in the spring and other non hunting times. Every camp/club seems to be a little different. Some are nothing but a bunch of drunks that don't do that much hunting they just get away from the wife and kids for the weekend, get drunk, and act irresponsible. I know that will make some mad. While others are very family based, allow no drinking at all, and are very serious about wildlife and habitat management. Plus you have ones in between those to different ends of the spectrum.

You say there aren't any close to home. The way I feel about it is why camp three miles away from home?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 AM

the way my club was always run was by by laws and officers,,, with democratic voting on major issues such as kill rules and planting strategy. Mostly you have to get involved with the right mix of people.....not necesarily your best friends from town,,,, once you decide your owns views,,,, likes and dislikes you need to associate with folks that are like minded.... this makes for a much more harmonious arrangement in camp.

Family clubs can be a really cool way for you to really build strong relationships. It seems when folks hunt together,,,,spill blood together they definitely learn to appreciate one another.

good luck
Old 07-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Just build a regular camp and then add some deer!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to have a liabilitiespaper drawn up by a lawerfor every member sign, to protect the land owner/building owner.

Insurance is needed as well.

We have the NRA endorsed liability insurance for our club, which is pretty reasonable.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have as "old fashioned" a deer camp as they come...as far as time goes. My dad bought 400 acres in the mid 60's ($5300 total) and it had 3 houses on it. He chose one to be our "cabin". It was the best suited of the three...maybe not the nicest, but the best suited. One house was about 3000 sq ft with 6 bedrooms, but heating would be a gigantic issue in a place of that size. Our cabin is about 1000 sq ft, one floor.

We began to fix the place up on the late 70's...adding indoor plumbing, better heat, insulation where possible, a building for skinning/boning meat, etc.

Now it has all the ammenities of home...TV, microwave, 10 beds, big front porch.

As far as hunting goes...it's pretty much been the same 6-8 guys since 1980. We have no steadfast rules...but we're dealing with people that we've been hunting with for years. They just know what to do.

They chip in $100 each for the food, bring their own beer if they wish, and that's pretty much it. They also help fix anything that is broken...and so fourth. One guy brought his roofing crew down a few years ago and re-roofed the entire place at no cost. Things like that are not forgotten.

I am a teacher, so I have all summer off. We also spend a great deal of time there in the "off months" mowing, brush hogging, cleaning, etc. My wife and kids love it.

The guys mentioned above are our "gun season" crew. Personally, I spend about 20X the hours bowhunting than I do hunting with a gun. When it comes to bowhunting, I'm pretty much on my own. My cousins hunt a little with abow, but usually it's just me on the land.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

We have as "old fashioned" a deer camp as they come...as far as time goes. My dad bought 400 acres in the mid 60's ($5300 total) and it had 3 houses on it. He chose one to be our "cabin". It was the best suited of the three...maybe not the nicest, but the best suited. One house was about 3000 sq ft with 6 bedrooms, but heating would be a gigantic issue in a place of that size. Our cabin is about 1000 sq ft, one floor.

We began to fix the place up on the late 70's...adding indoor plumbing, better heat, insulation where possible, a building for skinning/boning meat, etc.

Now it has all the ammenities of home...TV, microwave, 10 beds, big front porch.

As far as hunting goes...it's pretty much been the same 6-8 guys since 1980. We have no steadfast rules...but we're dealing with people that we've been hunting with for years. They just know what to do.

They chip in $100 each for the food, bring their own beer if they wish, and that's pretty much it. They also help fix anything that is broken...and so fourth. One guy brought his roofing crew down a few years ago and re-roofed the entire place at no cost. Things like that are not forgotten.

I am a teacher, so I have all summer off. We also spend a great deal of time there in the "off months" mowing, brush hogging, cleaning, etc. My wife and kids love it.

The guys mentioned above are our "gun season" crew. Personally, I spend about 20X the hours bowhunting than I do hunting with a gun. When it comes to bowhunting, I'm pretty much on my own. My cousins hunt a little with abow, but usually it's just me on the land.
that is a deer camp right there the others sound like deer "club's"

Quick Reply: How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.