Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Did you ever enter the woods and just 'KNOW" today's the day? >

Did you ever enter the woods and just 'KNOW" today's the day?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Did you ever enter the woods and just 'KNOW" today's the day?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Did you ever enter the woods and just 'KNOW" today's the day?

If i'm hunting a spot with the best sign i've seen then i feel like todays the day
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Everyday you go out being postitve. If you werent positive you wouldnt be there.

Only one time have I felt like that. It was the day before Thanksgiving last year. A STRONG cold front came in around 3or4 in the afternoon as we were driving to the property. The wind was near 20 mph and in being out the past few days the rut was really coming along. I went to a stand that we had built. This particular stand was 2 years old and the srcew I wrapped the wir around on the inside to close the door rusted off. For about 5 minutes I fought it. My dad had dropped me off on the other side of the wodds then he drove back up to the front. 10 minutes after I had been in the stand. BOOM goes dad. He scored on a nice buck. As we were pulling out of the gate you could still see the field he was sitting at when he shot his buck. The buck I had been hunting, and still havent got, "Crip" as we call him cause he limps. He came trotting down the side of the woods chasing does about 600 yards from us and about 100 yards from where we picked up his deer. If we would have just sat there 5 minute we both would have got one. I knew the deer would be there and I knew that dy was gonna be a real good day
Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep. i have
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 AM

i always am thinking today is the day and i know it is the day when the deer is laying dead on the ground
Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always think positive, as I previously mentioned.
I never go into the woods without thinking I'll be tagging that day.

That was not my point.

Only a few times, even before leaving camp, I have had a feeling that a special day awaits me.
Nothing to with the weather, or the stand I had selected, or the new sign I had seen, or the timing of the rut or anything.
It was just a strong gut feeling. Nothing more.

Maybe it had something to do with Jupiter aligning with Mars....
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't ever know it "will" happen on a particular hunt. I do however have many hunts each season where I honestly believe it "could" happen.

I've had too many "perfect" set-up's to see squat. I've learned over the last several years - expecting something to happen only makes you disappointed when it does not. I hope but don't expect.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM

i have a curse, i can hunt all weekend and see nothing, but on sunday afternoon about 1-3 oclock i see and shoot one in a matter of about 5 minutes

i swear to god i could stay home all weekend and only hunt sunday afternoon and id still get one
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes i usually dont get a deer those days lol.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Ya, I know what you mean about "that" feeling. The first two times it happened I messed up on opportunities on really nice bucks. The funny thing is, though,I didn't have that feeling when I shot my first buck this year. I've also had a couple of times whereI had that feeling and nothing happened at all.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Everytime I get out of the truck I feel like it's going to be a special day in the woods. Having the opportunity in the morning to see the woods "come alive" and then possibly putting some meat in the freezer or a trophy on the wall is priceless. I feel privileged to have that freedom and the opportunity to sit on that stand and am very grateful that our men and women risk their lives every day to give me that freedom. But, yes, on a cold morning in the middle of November when everything is stone still and bucks are chasing does-- that's pretty damn special too!