Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing essentials!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field dressing essentials!

thanks i plan on doing my first this year
i read everything i can on doing it
ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

It sounds as though everyone pretty much has his own variation for field dressing, yet all are pretty similar in most ways. Everyone who has done this a couple of times develops personal preferences, which is just fine.

I've had the following available on my website for several years and it seems to be useful, especially for those who have had little experience. I hope it helps someone again.

www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

sound right to me i plan on getting a game cart as well i think your better off to get to your truck then gut since the issue of dirt would be big if draging it throught he woods

now if it is a gut shot i will gut as soon i i get to it
ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

the only thing you gain by gutting is access to the tenderloins (which aren't worth the trouble on our 100-130 pound deer). so i leave the guts intact with the rib cage and dispose of the carcass.
thats about themost rediculousthing ive ever heard. you throw out the best part of the deer? the heart/liver and tender loins? also they dratg alot easier and cool better. you dont want all that nasty stomach acids getting in the meat
to each his own but don't call someone elses practice rediculous. i have never ate the liver or heart (so i guess anyone who doesn't eat these are less of a hunter and rediculous). also, i see you are in Maine...where your deer are commonly 300 pounds (my grandfather use to be stationed up there and told me stories about the 300 pound deer in Maine). if i shot a 300 pound deer the tenderloins would be worth getting. the tenderloins on a 100 pound deer aren't even big enough to fill a small non zip lock sandwich bag. also i don't drag deer, that's what my game cart is for and there is no nasty stomach acid if you don't gut shoot deer or bust the stomach while field dressing.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

what gets me people say it is ok to leave a deer over night find it the next day and eat it but it is not ok to wait untill you get out of the woods to gut it
Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 AM

the only thing you gain by gutting is access to the tenderloins (which aren't worth the trouble on our 100-130 pound deer). so i leave the guts intact with the rib cage and dispose of the carcass.
thats about themost rediculousthing ive ever heard. you throw out the best part of the deer? the heart/liver and tender loins? also they dratg alot easier and cool better. you dont want all that nasty stomach acids getting in the meat
to each his own but don't call someone elses practice rediculous. i have never ate the liver or heart (so i guess anyone who doesn't eat these are less of a hunter and rediculous). also, i see you are in Maine...where your deer are commonly 300 pounds (my grandfather use to be stationed up there and told me stories about the 300 pound deer in Maine). if i shot a 300 pound deer the tenderloins would be worth getting. the tenderloins on a 100 pound deer aren't even big enough to fill a small non zip lock sandwich bag. also i don't drag deer, that's what my game cart is for and there is no nasty stomach acid if you don't gut shoot deer or bust the stomach while field dressing.
I just remove the left ear and leave the rest in the woods!! But don't call me rediculous because I don't want to finish the job. To each his own.....

Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: refross

I just remove the left ear and leave the rest in the woods!! But don't call me rediculous because I don't want to finish the job. To each his own.....

i'm sorry i'm not "holier than thou" and walk on water like you obviously do. maybe you're just lazy because you don't keep the entire hide for clothing and ground up the hooves for medicine

some people need to seriously get a life, trust me...your shyt stinks just as bad as mine.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol lol that left ear is the best part of the deer and easy to carry

ORIGINAL: refross

Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

i know you shouldn't leave the guts in for any lengthy period of time but i have never gutted a deer right after shooting it. i have also never tasted any bad or tainted venison from the guts being left in for a little while. what happens to these deer that are shot and left until the morning? even with cooler temp.'s the "stomach and bowel acids" are left in the deer for hours.
The difference is a deer left overnight hasn't been moved. When you move an intact dead animal around is when you really stir the pot so-to-speak. In any case, handle them as you wish but I can assure you that you are in the minority on this one.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do agree with you kinda i do not think a deer should be put in a truck atv or what ever untill gutted but a 20 min hike out the woods i think would be ok
ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

i know you shouldn't leave the guts in for any lengthy period of time but i have never gutted a deer right after shooting it. i have also never tasted any bad or tainted venison from the guts being left in for a little while. what happens to these deer that are shot and left until the morning? even with cooler temp.'s the "stomach and bowel acids" are left in the deer for hours.
The difference is a deer left overnight hasn't been moved. When you move an intact dead animal around is when you really stir the pot so-to-speak. In any case, handle them as you wish but I can assure you that you are in the minority on this one.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

up here you arent gonna have your deer out of the woods in 20 minutes lol not even close. its uaually a couple hour drag back to a road if your lucky. i come across a little brash probably but i was taught to not waste anything. i think its funny ppl worry about bullet damage cuz they dont want to ruin any meat. last time i checked tenderloins tasted better then front shoulder no matter how its prepared. i also disagree w/

"the loiins on a100 lb deer cant even filll a sandwich bag" are you kidding me?!! hahah are you sure you know where the loins are? youll go to a resturaunt and pay 30.00 dollars for an 10oz steak but not "waste your time" w/ the tender loins hahaha like someone else said, each to their own i guess.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya the tenderlion with be the first thing i eat off a deer
if the butcher gives them to me [:@]

up here you arent gonna have your deer out of the woods in 20 minutes lol not even close. its uaually a couple hour drag back to a road if your lucky. i come across a little brash probably but i was taught to not waste anything. i think its funny ppl worry about bullet damage cuz they dont want to ruin any meat. last time i checked tenderloins tasted better then front shoulder no matter how its prepared. i also disagree w/

"the loiins on a100 lb deer cant even filll a sandwich bag" are you kidding me?!! hahah are you sure you know where the loins are? youll go to a resturaunt and pay 30.00 dollars for an 10oz steak but not "waste your time" w/ the tender loins hahaha like someone else said, each to their own i guess.

Quick Reply: Field dressing essentials!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.