HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Tree Stand killing tree? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/252769-tree-stand-killing-tree.html)

cbmagnum 07-14-2008 08:02 AM

Tree Stand killing tree?

Yea uh i was just wondering if anyone thought attaching a tree stand to a tree with 3 - 8 inch lag screws in a 15 inch pine tree will kill it. I really dont wanna kill the tree so please let me know

Lanse couche couche 07-14-2008 08:55 AM

RE: Tree Stand killing tree?

I've got trees on my property with spikes almost the size of railroad spikes driven into them, and they are doing okay.

cbmagnum 07-14-2008 09:40 AM

Ok yea my original plan was to drill like a 1/2 hole all the way through the tree and then take like a 22 inch piece of 1/2 inch threaded rod and bolt the tree stand to the tree just to hold it in place so then i would build angled supports under it and attach it further up the tree with aircraft wire or something. I just really did not want to kill the tree.

bugsNbows 07-14-2008 10:00 AM

It probably wouldn't quickly kill the tree outright, but it's certainly not good for the tree long term. I'm also quite sure that the pine will "weep" alot of resin (from the wound) if you do that.

dayna0306 07-14-2008 10:03 AM

I have at lest 10 bolt ons that have been up for 5 to 10 years and they are all still alive.They are all in hard woods, never used a pine tree.

Canuck33 07-14-2008 10:34 AM

It shouldn't kill hte tree however it does open the tree up for disease once you breach the bark, most trees can handle this no problem what becimes the problem is the hunters who leave the stands and steps in the tees year around and sometimes for life. Most trees will struggle to survive extended time if the stands are left in place. A good hunter will hang and remove stands and let the trees heal year to year. As long as you hang around august and remove in the winter the spring growth will all but erase you presence.Often stand sites change year to year anyway but for the good spots (and I have a couple) where the tree is hot year after year as long as you do the work and pull hte stands each year you will be good to go.

kevin1 07-14-2008 10:53 AM

At the end of the season take down the stands and insert the same size dowel rod in the holes to exclude bugs and fungus, this allows the tree to grow unhindered and reduces the chance of further damage. The dowels can be removed the following year if the stand sites will be used again.

whitetaildreamer 07-14-2008 11:04 AM

The pegs that I use only go into the tree 2 inches. Over the last 20 or more years, I have never seen a tree die that I have pegged.

CamoCop 07-14-2008 11:30 AM

pine tree's are definately alot more sensative then hardwoods. just climbing a pine tree with a climbing stand numerous times will eventually kill it. i have one spot i hunted for 2 years, climbing the same tree (i kept killing bucks from that location). the third year i went back to scout the area and the pine tree was dead. i can only imagine how a pine tree does if a huge lag bolt is drilled through it.

cbmagnum 07-14-2008 11:52 AM

yea thats what i was told. but there is not really any hard woods around me.