Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cover Scents

Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default Cover Scents

this spring while i was turkey hunting i had 4 deer walk right up on me. within 10 yds. i had no cover scent on and had made no attempts since january to mask my odor. why are cover scents so widely used and pushed if these deer didnt mind? i know the first 2 were young deer. don't get me wrong i will still make every effort to eliminate my odor in the deer woods, just found it interesting.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cover Scents

i think it depends on where you are at. if the deer are acustomed to human contact it doesn't seem to bother them as much. if the deer have limited to no human contact, they will obviously be spooked sooner and more often.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cover Scents

I am in agreement with camocop, I also would like to add that I think the deer know when it is deer season and when to be on full alert. When the woods that are normally quiet with no traffic (trucks, atv's, human's walking) all of the sudden start to get noisy, IMO they know whats up...Just my .02

I have had the same thing happen, this year I put up a new shooting house for my wife and daughter to huntout of and while I was up there putting in the windows (hammering, using portable saws and drills) I come around the front of the blind and I had a deer at the feeder at about 80 yards. There was me and another guy there talking and making all kinds of noise, the deer knew we were there but I believe it knew we were no threat as it was not deer season....