Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often do you NOT see deer? >

How often do you NOT see deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often do you NOT see deer?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How often do you NOT see deer?

Do you see deer every time you enter the woods during deer season?
Do you spend days without seeing a deer?

I hunt NH for a full week plus weekends and Maine for 6 days.
I would see deer in both places about every other day.
Sometimes I see deer almost every day, some times only 1-2 times a week. One year in Maine a few years back, I spent the entire week without ever seeing a deer.

I am sure the deer population (and weather) is the primary difference. More deer = more sightings.
I hunt arear that have 5-15 deer/sq mile, depending on the state and location withinthat state. Also the hunting pressure is usually very light so the change that other hunters may move deer are very low.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Default RE: How often do you NOT see deer?

i never see deer everytime i go
i see deer about 40 percent of the time id say
Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I wish I could see deer every time I went out. Sometimes I hunt for a couple weekends in a row and dont see anything but bugs and squirrels.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last few times I hunted last season I didn't see any deer while in stand. Everytime I left though I could see several out in the private property field next to the public land I hunt. I have been trying but can't seem to find a trail that they are using to get into the private field and can't find any good locations to ambush them on there way. That is definetly on my list this year is to take one of them.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM

i know i hate when you hear a squirrel and you get adrenaline because you think its adeer llol
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

i know i hate when you hear a squirrel and you get adrenaline because you think its adeer llol
LOL!!! Yup, I know exactly what you are talking about!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I see deer probably a bit over 60% of the days I am out. Last year I saw my first deer on the fifth and last day late in the day. That was unusual. I had about a two second window while the deer had paused to leap up a bank. At 65 yards, quartering away offhand, I hit right where I aimed and put her in the freezer.

I think I have had years where I saw no deer but I cannot recall for sure. I go hunting for the hunt and not necessarily for the kill that is the object of the hunt.

Bob
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

I found during archery season I saw deer almost daily(last year was my first archery season), but come rifle season i rarely see any deer,especially when I go up north in Maine, then I go days or even trips with no sightings, and if i do see anything always a doe with no doe tag.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Depends where I am hunting. Like you Jimmy S, I spend most of my time in the big woods, where deer sightings are fewer. I sometimes see more deer during archery season when I am hunting closer to civilization. That is just what we must put up with in the northeast, without mountains of corn piles and high fences.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

85% of the time I am on the stand,I see deer on both the places I hunt...Mostly doe's though

Quick Reply: How often do you NOT see deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.