Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often do you NOT see deer? >

How often do you NOT see deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often do you NOT see deer?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often do you NOT see deer?

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Do you see deer every time you enter the woods during deer season?
Do you spend days without seeing a deer?

I hunt NH for a full week plus weekends and Maine for 6 days.
I would see deer in both places about every other day.
Sometimes I see deer almost every day, some times only 1-2 times a week. One year in Maine a few years back, I spent the entire week without ever seeing a deer.

I am sure the deer population (and weather) is the primary difference. More deer = more sightings.
I hunt arear that have 5-15 deer/sq mile, depending on the state and location withinthat state. Also the hunting pressure is usually very light so the change that other hunters may move deer are very low.

thnk we have to accept that the northeast is slow deer hunting
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

When bow season opens about 80% of the time I see deer. By the Thanksgiving weekend maybe 35% of the time.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't remember ever going hunting and not seeing a deer where I hunt now . A couple times on out of state hunts we came up dry but never here . Where I hunt now I see turkeys everyday ,deer two or three times a week and an occasional elk maybe once or twice a month . Love living in the country .
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w59/rafter02/013.jpgtaken from the back porch
Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Last year I took vacation and spent the first 9 days of gun season in the woods. I saw lots of deer for the first 5 days, just no shooter bucks. After that I saw hardly anything. What I did notice is that I had lots of good bucks on cam 2-3 weeks before gun season that I never saw again, that's why this year I bought a bow. In East Texas the rut happens during bow season.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I generally hunt a low density (1.6 per sq. mile) area I generally see a deer a day. Mostly because I go after them on foot.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

every day untill the Lull the second week in Oct.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd "guess-timate" about 25% of the days I go out I see no deer.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

i know i hate when you hear a squirrel and you get adrenaline because you think its adeer llol
I don't even want to talk about that! I hate Squirrels more than anything! The times ive heard a squirrel approaching and thought it was a buck I can't even count! Somehow squirrels sound like a 300 pd. ten point, but when deer come in, you don't hear them until they are on top of you!

I'd say I see deer 50% of the time I am out. Most of the time all I want to do is see one deer. When you see as little deer as I do, one just gets the heart pumping!!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 PM

I hunt in Maryland and sometimes I think I'm tripping over deer in the woods. Probably only 6-10 times in the last 5 years when I haven't seen at least a doe while hunting.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

85% of the time I am on the stand,I see deer on both the places I hunt...Mostly doe's though

+2 I'm about the same.

Quick Reply: How often do you NOT see deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.