Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does Skoal Apple really attract deer? >

Does Skoal Apple really attract deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does Skoal Apple really attract deer?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does Skoal Apple really attract deer?

I like Skoal Watermelon myself![8D]
Old 07-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think it has to do with it being an unnatural smell. deer will stop and smell anything different in an area to investigate whether it means danger or not.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM
JT
Spike

two stories, with cherry skoal.....

1. I used to spit out of my stand 4-5 years ago when I was stupid and didn't care about scent. I was bowhunting and as I was taking off my safety strap at the end of the night I heard something coming into my stand real fast. I slowly put an arrow back in the bow and turned around.A black bear came in and sat right under my stand where I was spitting. I had to drop my quiver on his back to get him to leave.

2. I am now smarter and keep a bottle in my inside pocket of my camo for a spitter. It keeps the scent sealed off and I rarely get winded. This year during the rut I was hunting this one buck who I saw a few times and had on my camera. I did some aggressive rattling mid-morning and the buck came out of the thick, crashing right towards me. I thought the deal was sealed when he stoppedcoldbehind a spruce tree about 40 yards away so we couldn't see each other. There was just a little wind that was swirling. He then took off the other way faster than he came in. I couldn't figure out what happened until I took my camo off at the cabin. My spitter bottle cracked and was leaking all over me under my outer layer of clothes, and I didn't know it.

TO SUM UP MY EXPERIENCES WITH CHERRY (NOT APPLE) SKOAL:BEARS LOVE IT AND BUCKS HATE IT!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great story JT. Why scare the bear away? I could have sat all day watching him!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JFergus7

That is a great story JT. Why scare the bear away? I could have sat all day watching him!
apparently ya'll don't have bear problems like we do...lol. also, atleast around here, if there is a bear in the area you can pretty much count on not seeing any deer.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if its the smell or not but I don't think I would just leave the top off my can to find out.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

We definetly don't have any beer problems where I hunt in illinois. I have been hearing that they are startign to have some problems at my property in WV. Not really sure if it is a huge problem or just people over exagerating. Would love to see and get a chance to shoot one though!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

too many bunny huggers with deep pockets here in Florida. i don't think they'll ever open a season here in central Florida where we need it.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 PM

I have a friend that is atimate that the deer love his apple skoal and I have seen a couple of pictures that he has taken with his camera phone. He says he has had one deer lick the stuff right off his stand steps. I don't chew but if i did i just may give at a try.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Skoal apple is what I chew on a daily basis. I havent noticed any changes or anything with the deer. In fact I think I have seen less deer since I started chewing.

Quick Reply: Does Skoal Apple really attract deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.