Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kill or harvest?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Kill or harvest?

i use harvest or kill. you say kill when youre talking to other people that have our addictions, harvest when youre talking to people that dont.

the only one that bugs me A LITTLE is catch
Old 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Spike

My hats off to ya kickin buck. RESPECT

To me "harvest" is a politicaly correct word. If I am around people I don't know I will say taken or took. Normally I will say shot or killed. I try to be respectful of others.

We hunters know they are not horns, but we know they are meaning the bone looking material growing out of their heads.

Let's add to the theoriginal question. Do you consider hunting a sport? I don't. How can you call killing something a sport?I don't even consider fishing to be a sport even if you practice catch and release. Hunting is hunting. Shooting a gun or a bow for compitition is a sport.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tenpointer65

My hats off to ya kickin buck. RESPECT

To me "harvest" is a politicaly correct word. If I am around people I don't know I will say taken or took. Normally I will say shot or killed. I try to be respectful of others.

We hunters know they are not horns, but we know they are meaning the bone looking material growing out of their heads.

Let's add to the theoriginal question. Do you consider hunting a sport? I don't. How can you call killing something a sport?I don't even consider fishing to be a sport even if you practice catch and release. Hunting is hunting. Shooting a gun or a bow for compitition is a sport.
Do you consider hunting a sport was not the original question. It was do you use the word harvest or kill, and looking at most of the responses, most of ususe the word kill. Now to answer your question, no,hunting or fishing is not a sport. They areboth hobbies or activties, or should I say passions or obsessions.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a problem with the term Kill but the term harvest is what I was brought up on. Way back when I started there wasn't a hunting season that we waited for. When we needed meat, we just took a .22, went out back behind the graineries and popped a deer in the head (usually a doe). There really wasn't much sport to it. It simply was one of the nessecities (food). Now forty some years later it is much different. My sons have a hard time understanding when I explain how it was when I was a kid. (at Christmas I was lucky to get a Christmas orange and a half a doz. hard candies). So the term harvest was just ingrained in me and that was well before political correctness became an issue. It's just like calling a fawn a calf. I know it's incorrect language but once again it's what was ingrained. As to antlers, I remember my grandfather saying as we butchered a doe in the barn, "you can't eat horns". I supposethe term harvestmay be also due to when we harvested an animal we would always say a prayer thanking God for allowing us to harvest one of his creatures. I still have my sons say the same prayer.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Spike

That's why I said, "Let's add to the original question. Just like the horn question was added to it.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just say - "I got one" or "did you get a buck". "Yep, I got a 10 pointer".

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tenpointer65

That's why I said, "Let's add to the original question. Just like the horn question was added to it.
Sorry tenpointer, I misread your post. Oh well, I answered it anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Okay, i'm a turd and a dumass. Sounds familiar. You're not my ex-girlfriend posting under that name are you? Now back to the topic....
You are beyond a turd and a dumbass. Amazing, not one ounce of respect for a child, but you want to be considered a "hunter". Can't imagine why there are so many anti's out there. I guess we are to believe that you area great outdoorsman, held in high regard. You are a punk. If you were dying of thirst, I would'nt p*** in your face. Until you've walked in their shoes, or for their cause, you'renot worthy of the air they breath.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

"harvest" is used as the politically correct term...
Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 AM

all i all its the same. in my youn life of 25 soon to be 26 years i have learned that its who asked is what you did. to most i kiied one or droped him. but if my dear old grandmother or my mother askes i harvested one. buts only because i dont want [harvested] my self!!! lol i am yet to catch on. but i could of jumped out of my tree stand last year on a little spike. we will keep that in mind for them rainy season days to come.

Quick Reply: Kill or harvest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.