Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kill or harvest?

Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kill or harvest?

ORIGINAL: pigiron
I love nothing more than celebrating a clean kill.
I couldn't agree more!
After you've hunted long enough you will have a shot or two that didn't go just right. In some cases it may have actually been a sad ending with a suffering animal. Not that animals don't linger and suffer naturally in the wild... it's just that when it is the result of a not-so-perfect shot we should take note and pay attention to why it happened and how we can try to avoid it in the future.
Clean kills are the goal. But clean kill or ugly wound, there is a sanctity to life that we must respect, whether we hunt or not.
I've got no problem killing game. I just don't do physical or verbal end-zone dances about it. And I don't think anyone should. If they want to it's their prerogative, it's just not mine
I actually prefer to be alone when I come to a downed deer or other game. It give me a moment to ponder what I just did, ... why... and how I will make sure not to waste any part of the animal that I can use.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

either is cool with me
i think harvest is used as a PR term during shows so not to upset the views watching the show that do not like hunting
now worring about anti hunters and what they think when watching a hunting show
Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

SavageOne, I never use the word harvest.I will say took or taken or shot.I am not looking to avoid the realities of what is involved I am looking to use softer language in some instances.I do that with non hunters,women in many instances.I don't say kill around my mother and my father and brother and I have been life time hunters.
My wifeis a city girl,I don't come home after a hunt and throw dead animals in the sink or have blood spilling in to the drive way.It wouldn't sit well with her and I am going to respect her comfort levels.The same holds true as it relates to how we interact with other people.Any time you attempt to force someone to your way of thinking it typically doesn't end well.No one wants to be forced to do any thing.You bring them along at their own pace,you will earn their respect in my opinion by doing it in that manner.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I just don't do physical or verbal end-zone dances about it. And I don't think anyone should. If they want to it's their prerogative, it's just not mine

LOL, too funny.

I'm right on with you on this one as well. Funky end-zone dances......need not apply.

In my mind to celebrate a clean kill would consist of a good smile for the rest of theday and stopping over my cousin Hank's house to let him take a peek on the back of the truck(always friendly competition, and of course a little bragging amongst relatives). The group of relatives and friends I hunt with are pretty low key.....and that's how we like it.

There's nothing like the feelingofkilling a beautiful buck(a trophy inyour eyes..regardless of inches)after putting many hours of preperation in the field. It's like an on-going reflectionof that particular hunt, that never ends.

It still amazes me how much political correctness has detached people. When I was younger, it wasn't uncommon at all to see a volkswagon or a family car running down the freeway with a deer draped over the hood. This was a common occurance, and no one blinked an eye(alright, maybe a few tree huggers or pinko libs).I guess in some northern statesstates likeMainit's still commonplace. Now we frown and are appalledat the idea, and I believe in some places it can be a violation. I don't believe this was to shove a trophy in the public's faces. It was simply because that hunter didn't own a truck, and their were probably suitcases in the trunk of the car.From what I could see, hunters/hunting were much more accepted back then.

In any case, I appreciate all of the points thatwere covered here.....although I firmly believe you can still be gentlemen/respected sportsmenand use the word kill in a sentence.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

I dont think I have ever said harvest when talking about deer. I dont really use kill

Mostly did you shoot or get one
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

I hadn't seen my post in a few days, it has grown. In reading over the three new pages of replies it came to me what it is about "harvest" that puts me off a bit.

To me it seems like the person saying it while refering to a kill is, well, a bit ashamed of being a hunter. I am not. I am proud that I got my boys and nephew and brother-in-law into hunting also.

I am not into someone's face about any of this, it is just the way that I feel. With non hunters I do probably say "got" but if they say something anti-hunting in nature I talk about the good hunting does, and the history of man and that not hunting is unnatural. (Keep in mind that if someone is an animal rights, PETA or ALF, type I do not speak with them at all. I do not speak to crazy people, they are dangerous.)

I had a clerk at a convenience store, knowing I was heading to deer camp, ask me if I would shoot Bambie, I answered, "Yes I would, and I would shoot Bambi's mother or little sister too."

Bob
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

I harvest animals that I eat just like a farmerharvest crops for food. I kill varmints and predators that I am not going to eat. Take it or leave it. If I affend you that your take on the matter.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It stops breathing, it's heart stops, it's dead, it has been killed.I just don't think of the word "harvest" when I kill an animal. I usually think of a big plate of corn, beans, and greens with pepper sauce made from peppers thatwere "harvested" from the field. But like Icetrey said, Iusuallyjust say I got him or somethin like that, but I never use harvest to describe a kill.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

700xcr -

I most certainly am not offended, I just was just curious as to if others felt the way that I do. Quite a few do, quite a few do not.

I just do not feel that I should be apologetic about the subject of hunting and the killing that goes along with it. I have converted a few people and have made them to be at least tolerant of hunting. To me, that is a victory.

I do think that it helps if we all as hunters are respectful of others, are safe, and obey the law. My older boy has converted a few people by being a good cook. They like his venison. It is also hard to keep any jerky that we make, quite a bit has been sent to relatives while they were serving in the middle East.

I do not think that there is a right or wrong answer to my question but how we react to and are percieved by other people is a good thing to think about.

Bob

Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

now thats funny stuff i would have called the store owner and tell him you would not be abck due to the guys rude stupied commet and you would be telling all your hunting buddys not to go there
ORIGINAL: Robert L E

I had a clerk at a convenience store, knowing I was heading to deer camp, ask me if I would shoot Bambie, I answered, "Yes I would, and I would shoot Bambi's mother or little sister too."

Bob

Quick Reply: Kill or harvest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.