Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kill or harvest?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kill or harvest?

ORIGINAL: tsoc

pigiron,you have expressed yourself very well and I understand where your coming from.As with all things there are certain distinctions to be made.I am just going to err on the side of consideration whether I am dealing with a non hunter or as much as it may pain me with the anti hunter.With the anti hunter I don't want to give them "any" ammunition to have some thing reflect negatively upon us as hunters,I want them to look like the extremeist's and idiot's they are.If you are respectful and cool as a cucumber and they are out of control and acting poorly,how do you think that looks to the non hunters who havn't made up their mind as to which side of the fence to be on? I want us to be the good guys and gals,the one's who are respectful and considerate and well spoken.
I say with honesty if someone feels they have to say kill in the presence of a non hunter they are doing hunters more harm then good.The bottom line is that you have to know your audience.
It is no different than sitting with a surgeon as they talk about the surgery that your wife or child needs and having them say we are going to slice or gash them open and rip out their gall bladder and fill them with toxic drugs and thread them up.We all know what the surgeon is going to do,you just don't want to hear it that way.
Someone can be a person who is not opposed to hunting but be an animal lover,they may not like to hear the word kill as it relates to taking an animals life,it may be offensive to them.
Why wouldn't we tailor our language to be respectful of someones feelings or upbringing? You of course can do any thing you wish.I am going to be part of the solution not part of the problem.

Though my tolerance has run thin with these types of people(those who are detached from reality), your point istaken tsoc.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Woodstock NY.Communities do not come more liberal than mine.My family has lived here for 3 generations.There are two instances that are fairly recent where hunters have had significant victories.One in a a battle of letters to the editor in our local news paper and the other in an instance of maintaining and expanding hunting rights in a local state park.
The reason we prevailed is because we kept our cool,we showed respect and consideration and intelligence every step of the way and we stomped the anti hunting faction.I believe that is where we need to realize our satisfaction.We can have our cake and eat it to but many within our hunting community need to be a lot more patient and use their head a lot more.
In some parts of the country this likely isn't even a consideration because hunting has such a strong hold.The blue states and the metropolitan area's are where most of our challenges are I would expect.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Yesterday while driving down the highway,I hit a coyote- did I kill it or harvest it???
Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM

This kinda thread always reminds me off the death penalty:

Nobody wants to hear about it or see it carried out -UNTIL they or one of their family members becomes a VICTIM and then the first thing you hear come out of their mouth is HANG EM HIGH...Same go's for your starving bleeding heart liberal ass--If it gets down to it and you were stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no food and supplies-somehwere around the 7th or 8th day your ass will start looking for bugs bunny and on the 9th day you will KILL bugs bunny in order for your liberal ass to eat and survive.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

700Rem, it depends if you ate it after.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Oh ,okay wtd;

Thanks for the insight-I am starting to get the whole picture here.

So if I hurt something and its dies-if I dont eat it,then I harvested it-If I hurt something and it dies and then I eat it-then I killed it.I know alot on here(like myself) are just KILLING time waiting on the season to get here so we can ALL go kill something!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course you killed it.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Yeah-me and you know that-but Mr.Sensitive just doesn't have a clue.

I would like to keep going on and on-but

I went fishing this morning-Caught a bunch of fish,then I KILLED them when I put them on ice,nowI am going to eat my fish,Thank you Lord.

I cant find the word Harvest in the Bible except where the women go out and Harvest the pomegranets from the field,but I can find a passage where they Killed the hoofed animal to eat.

Fruits= Harvest
Animals=Killed

I love getting in the mix with the Anti's-One of the first questions I ask them is -do you believe in God and the Bible??
As soon as they say yes-thats when I let them have it........God tells man to go into the fields and KILL the beast,and eat. DUH... So you see hunting is a God given right.Of course the Anti's just falls apart in front of me and starts trying to justify how he/she feels after just telling me that he/she whole heartedly agrees with everything in the Bible.
Its like the bleeding heart liberal democrats..they only want to pick "what part " best suits their needs and what benefits them at the time.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in agreement with you.I just view it from a perspective of what do I want out of this.If it is a non hunter I want them to bring them along to my way of thinking but I don't want them to realize they have been led.I want it to be a natural transition for them.Hey this guy is a decent guy,he explained some things to me in a way that made sense and was not aggressive about it,if he is all right than all or most hunters are all right.That is what I am looking to have happen.With the anti I just want them to appear foolish so if any one else in participating in the conversation or watching they walk away thinking,the hunter was calm and cool and respectful the anti was a nut bag.I want the people that were watching or listening to go anti hunter bad,hunter is good,in it's simplest form.
I think for us being right or within complete justification to speak in certain ways is not enough,I want to influence people positively to our way of thinking.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Spike

tsoc
Don't you run the risk of alienating those non hunters if you're not up front with them about the truth of hunting. If they listen to you about harvesting game, then equating hunting with say berry picking, is there not a greater chance the true bloody experiance of shooting and dressing the game will leave them feeling lied to. If they are interested in hunting they must accept the basest parts as well.

Quick Reply: Kill or harvest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.