HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ground blind vs. treestand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/251676-ground-blind-vs-treestand.html)

rackaholic89 07-05-2008 09:08 PM

ground blind vs. treestand

Do you think you can be as successful in a ground blind as you can be in a treestand? What are some pros and cons of the two?

Mottz 07-05-2008 09:56 PM

RE: ground blind vs. treestand

Yes. I use both. Blind: Pro-You can move it easily, protected from weather,and your on a more level shooting path. Con- movements make noise in leaves, unless you have a 360 the fabric between the mesh makes blindspots,harder to see them approaching. Stands: Pro-see more, above their noses. Con-don't drop anything, your up in the weather. Thats all I can think of. Maybe someone else can add more.

solocamcan 07-05-2008 10:12 PM

Weather and taking a kid hunting are about the only positives for me personally. I like being able to see 360 degrees and see further.

Turkey hunting is a different story, love the blind for that.

dstubb 07-05-2008 11:07 PM

I prefer to be up in a tree so that my scent is off of the ground. With even a small breeze your scent will pass overhead of deer below. Also, with having a climber i feel just as mobile as i would with a blind.

A11en 07-06-2008 06:07 AM

A con of the tree stand is thelaws of gravity come into play. But I believe the pros far out weight the cons. I use my climber when hunting by myself. I use a ladder stand and ground blind when hunting with the kids.

Rebel Hog 07-06-2008 06:43 AM

Both have Pros & Con's.....

Champlain Islander 07-06-2008 07:12 AM

I like being up a tree. Better for my type of bow hunting. For rifle hunting I am a tracker and don't usually use any blind.

CamoCop 07-06-2008 07:21 AM

i prefer treestands myself

whitetaildreamer 07-06-2008 08:24 AM

I use both and it basicly comes down to your application. For bow hunting I prefer a treestand as well as during ML and rifle season when I'm deep in the woods. During the rut if I'm on a long tree line both work well. Once again it comes down to the situation. If there are no trees available then the blind comes in handy but if a tree is available then it is hard to beat the vision it provides being 20 feet off the ground. As mentioned, I also believe that a tree stand assists in your sent control.

Paul L Mohr 07-06-2008 08:37 AM

With a gun possibly, depends on how far away you set up from where the deer travel. With a bow I think your success rate would be much higher with a properly placed stand vrs a ground blind.

Paul