Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Save our tradition!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Save our tradition!

A recent post in the bowhunting forum got me thinking.. It was about the Drury brothers, and I agreed with a lot of the others that they deserve respect for their teaching abilities and legitimate passion for wildlife and hunting. I really feel like they are the best out there and the reason is this: I am 22 years old and growing up, I never had anyone to take me hunting (besides a couple rabbit hunts with a cousin).Even if my dad hadn't left us, he wasn't the outdoorsy type anyway, so he wouldnt take me.I would stare at my cousin and uncle's deer heads for hours, and I listened with great admiration to their hunting stories as a very youngkid, just imagining what it would be like to be on a hunt like the ones in their stories. I spent my childhood building forts in the woods and looking for deer sign, turkey sign, anything.. I was intrigued by the outdoors and the passion began to grow. I would try to go hunting with my cousinbut I felt left out because he recently had kids and no more time. BY the age of 15 I couldn't take it anymore.. If I had no one to teach/take me, then I would do it on my own. I had my mom take me to a hunter saftey course, cut a lof grass to buy my first slug gun, and found some people in south central indiana to show me the ropes. Nothing will ever compare to feeling I had when I took my first deer. Over the years ive spent 90% of my free time studying deer in the field, shooting, watching videos, and asking older huntersALOT of questions. My point is this: Nothing compares to gaining knowledge/experience through being in the woods, but for someone like me, the Drury brotherswere very beneficial. Ive learned a lot from themregarding what I can do to make mysmall property (15 acres in SE Indiana)my own deer hunting sanctuary throughfood plots, trail cameras, patterning before the rut, etc.. Thanks to the things Ive learned on my own and the things Ive learned from them, I have passed on my passion to my little brother and I take him turkey and deer hunting every year.
I apologize for such a long post but I think its important that people realize just how much it would mean to a lot of young kids out there to be taken hunting. I had no hunting mentor, but the fact that I will never forget the look on my little brothers face when he got his first doe, gives me a great sense of satisfaction and enjoyment. If anyone out there has thought about taking a kid hunting.. Do it. Hunting is an ethical, spiritual, relationship building American tradition that we have to save. It's important to instill thesevalues and respect for the natural world early,before we lose the kids to realitytv and video games. To everyone out there that has taught kids about the outdoors.. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Save our tradition!

Great post,I too taught my self to BOWHUNT, my dad's idea of hunting was hanging out at camp cooking and playing cards....LOL
I started mydaughter at the ripe ole age of 5 with a bow and she shot her first deer last year at the age of 7 with a rifle....Kids are the future of the sport!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little practice back in the daywhen she first started!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good to hear.. When I have kids someday I bet its going to be great feeling to see them with their first deer in their hands.. Awesome pictures thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trying to get the little one started a little earlier!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha Thats Awesome.. Looks like she'll be shooting a bow in a few months
Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 PM

that wasan awesome post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

bowmanaj:

Definitely a post worth re-reading.
Well written and to the point - nice job.