HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Am I lying to myself? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/251495-am-i-lying-myself.html)

refross 07-03-2008 09:16 PM

Am I lying to myself?

I have 500 pictures of deer on my hunting spot, and only 2 are pictures of a buck in velvet (the same buck). I do have pictures of 3 different fawns with there mothers, and I believe that there is at least 1 more fawn in the area. I also have a couple of pictures of does being aggressive to “something” off camera.

I’m telling myself that because I’ve created a perfect nursery, the does are chasing away any other deer, including the bucks. I’m also telling myself that come October and November, these does will stay in the area and the bucks will come looking for them!!

So, am I lying to myself?

refross 07-03-2008 09:21 PM

RE: Am I lying to myself?

angry doe

robbcayman 07-03-2008 09:34 PM

No, you're not lying to yourself. Last year I had literally thousands of pics of does with only one picture of a big 10 point buck. By the time the rut hit it, itseemed that all the does had left the area and the big bucks came in. I saw at least 6 differentbigbucks who were obviously looking for the does.

It make take until November, but the bucks will come around.

GTOHunter 07-03-2008 09:59 PM

Hold out for a Buck...the Does will draw them in,if not....then after a few days pop a couple of Doe's for sometension release! ;)

MichaelT. 07-03-2008 10:22 PM

well, I had typed you a great explaination about what you are experiencing, but I am doing this on my smartphone laid up in bed after a surgical procedure on my back today, and on pain pills. This recovery bed isn't real comfortable .... and somehow I lost my long wonderful reply, so I will say for now .... no, you are not lying to yourself...... and I will elaborate tomorrow after I get home to my laptop.

solocamcan 07-04-2008 02:11 AM

That Doe is not angry........That Doe is taking a leak. If your seeing aggression, it may be just because of her fawns. Yes, if there are does around you late Oct. into Nov. the bucks will be cruising looking for them.

spikebuck77 07-04-2008 07:40 AM

It sounds like you have a great spot that could also use a little management to get things into good balance. If you have a healthy doe herd and fawn population then you also have bucks in the area. Those does can't multiply without them. My advice would be to start taking a few does so the land can support the bucks to hang around too. It sounds very promising!

timbercruiser 07-04-2008 08:10 AM

I was going to say the doe was taking a leak, or was in process of droping a fawnl

RockinChair 07-04-2008 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

No, you're not lying to yourself. Last year I had literally thousands of pics of does with only one picture of a big 10 point buck. By the time the rut hit it, itseemed that all the does had left the area and the big bucks came in. I saw at least 6 differentbigbucks who were obviously looking for the does.

It make take until November, but the bucks will come around.
x2.

Siman08/OH 07-04-2008 11:31 AM

One of my best buddies has permission to hunt just a few hundred yards down the road from a few of my properties. His Moultrie took over 1,300 pictures last year and 7 of them were bucks. They were of two different 1.5 year dinks. Now on my properties, my camera took over 3,000 pictures and around 800 were bucks. Their were around 10 different bucks in all ranging from 1.5 year olds to tome nice 130" inchers. This proves the deer are in the area, just maybe not in front of your camera.