HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Quads for hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/251086-quads-hunting.html)

jd3006 06-30-2008 05:15 PM

Quads for hunting

I'm looking for a new quad to retrieve game and to use to till small food plots. I'm looking at the Polaris Sportsman 500EFI and 800EFI and also the Arctic Cat 650H1 and 700EFI. The 650H1 is not an EFI model. What does everyone else use? My current quad is a Polaris 325 Magnum and has been a very good machine but is just not quite big enough to disc plots as it gets very hot under heavy pulling because it's air cooled and somewhat under powered for what I've asked of it. I know a tractor would be best for plots but I can't justify the money to use it 2 or 3 times a year when I can ride my quad all year long.

skybuster20ga 06-30-2008 05:35 PM

RE: Quads for hunting

ide steer clear of piglaris. my brothers have them and i hate everyting about them. they feel chincy. when the belt gets wet, which isnt hard to do on a polaris, they are usless. we have an 06 grizzly 660 and we love it. and also a kingquad 750. the diff lock is awesome and the fuel injection. nasty nasty machine. i highly recomend looking at them

Mojotex 06-30-2008 06:24 PM

If your food plots are not huge, you might be better off using a walk behind roto-tiller. I have done that ... but the 2 plots were no more than 1/2 acre or so (each). Took me a whole morning to get them done but ... it worked. I had sprayed these with Round - Up about 3 weeks earlier and mowed them a week or so before I tilled. Used an old walk behind "Troy Built". Was not a bunch of "work" just time consuming. Might be worth a try if you can scrounge the equipment.

Edcyclopedia 07-01-2008 11:26 AM

I have a 2003 Bombardier (Can-Am) Outlander 400 and love it, plenty of power and keeps up with the 500 class.
Their new models are EFI and tend to have the most power in each of their classes no matter what size you select.

My buddy have the AC 650 and loves it.

However, I just read and article (for what it's worth) on a shoot out (700-800 class) and they narrowed it down to 3 finalist...
Yamaha won the all around and got rave reviews with the "power steering".
My buddy's Dad has a 2004-660 and loved it, and he just upgraded to the latest Grizzly and say's it's way better than his 1st.

Suzuki - Was the best value.

Can-Am (Bombardier) was the most powerful by far, but the most expensive!

WVSPORTSMAN 07-01-2008 11:41 AM

i have a honda 420...i think it is just enough and doesn't feel like it might roll over at any moment...I've read alot of negative reviews of polaris and stuff like over heating and break downs.. I ride with a bunch of guys every oncein a great while...several polaris's in the group and they seem to have constant problems(mostly over heating)....had two brand new kaw750's go bad in a year. Engines just gave out around 500-800 miles.Don't know too much about artic cat. No one has one in my area

cjwink 07-01-2008 03:21 PM

I have an AC 400.. I like the option of a manual/high low tranny for pulling.. I would opt for something a little larger than the 400 because it is not water cooled..

salukipv1 07-01-2008 10:13 PM

650 carbed vs. 700 fuel injected, no question, get fuel injected.

the 700efi is the suzuki motor...may consider a suzuki kingquad.

fuel injection is the future, down the road itll be much easier to sell a 2008 efi than a 2008 carbed....

bugsNbows 07-02-2008 05:13 AM

Yam Griz 700 for me. It's the bugs nutz.

Colorado Luckydog 07-02-2008 07:18 AM

We have 5 polaris's 500's that have never given us a single problem. We have brought out whole elk on them almost every single year. We are very hard on them and they are used year round. My buddy also has a couple at his outfitting service in Nebraska and he has had the same luck with his.

bigtim6656 07-02-2008 09:04 AM

i will second that can am makes the fastest most powerfull quad out there but they do cost get a can am 800 or 650 outlander you will not go wroung
my dealer just told me there going out the door right now at almost cost

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I have a 2003 Bombardier (Can-Am) Outlander 400 and love it, plenty of power and keeps up with the 500 class.
Their new models are EFI and tend to have the most power in each of their classes no matter what size you select.

My buddy have the AC 650 and loves it.

However, I just read and article (for what it's worth) on a shoot out (700-800 class) and they narrowed it down to 3 finalist...
Yamaha won the all around and got rave reviews with the "power steering".
My buddy's Dad has a 2004-660 and loved it, and he just upgraded to the latest Grizzly and say's it's way better than his 1st.

Suzuki - Was the best value.

Can-Am (Bombardier) was the most powerful by far, but the most expensive!