Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATV's ? Yes or No?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: ATV's ? Yes or No?

[quote]ORIGINAL: hunter5325

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

"i'm glad no atv's are allowed in the public land area's i hunt. they are public access year around but you have to walk or ride a bicycle. this keeps out 90% of the "slob" hunters."

+1
I fully agree. They are not allowed on public land here either, but we have a large population of fat, lazy, ignorant, self centered people who ignore those laws.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

In comparison to other outdoor enthusiasts like hikers, skiers and cyclists, hunters are by far in the worst shape. You won't find those XXXL garments and the 52" waist pants in the shops that cater to hikers and skiers like you will at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop. Now hunters have ATV's that will probably add another 50lbs to their already wide lard butts! Hunting is supposed to be an activity that involves a little exertion and stamina. Those who need ATV's to take them the few hundred yards to their deer stands are nothing but a lazy excuse for a hunter. In most cases it takes MORE time unloading these things off pickups and firing them up than it would simply walking to the stand. They make absolutely NO sense in the majority of cases they are used for.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Quads for hunting insertion - No

Quads for game retrieval - Sure

Quads for utility/recreational purposes - Yes
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only places I've been experiencing absolute silence interrupted only by an occasional Chick-a-Dee or woodpeck and the Elk cow that send a surge through you like a bolt out of the blue is 5-8 miles back off the nearest gravel road on BLM land out west in the mountains where it's no motorized vehicles period.
You don't realize how rare silence is, until you've experienced that.
Sometimes no sound at all is priceless.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM

i have a question
is it a good idea to ride my 4 wheeler out to my food plot where i will be hunting now?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

In comparison to other outdoor enthusiasts like hikers, skiers and cyclists, hunters are by far in the worst shape. You won't find those XXXL garments and the 52" waist pants in the shops that cater to hikers and skiers like you will at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop. Now hunters have ATV's that will probably add another 50lbs to their already wide lard butts! Hunting is supposed to be an activity that involves a little exertion and stamina. Those who need ATV's to take them the few hundred yards to their deer stands are nothing but a lazy excuse for a hunter. In most cases it takes MORE time unloading these things off pickups and firing them up than it would simply walking to the stand. They make absolutely NO sense in the majority of cases they are used for.

I wonder if the shape of hunters has more to do with the average American waist line, than to say hunters are in bad shape. The other sports you mention discriminate on the basis that they require great physical shape in order to participate. The great thing about the hunting tradition in America is that it welcomes all shape, sizes, and ages, and discriminates against none.
To think that only skinny people should have access to our public grounds is not only a detriment to the sport, but is a one of many dangerous attitudes that could lead to the ending of our sport. If we as hunters stand divided, we don't have a chance against the anti hunting crowd, so we must be carefull when we pass judgment amongst ourselves. I can see your point of using an atv to go only a few hundred yards, but in our areas it is more like 10 to 20 miles, and I don't care how great of shape you are in, you are not going to cruse that off before daylight and then pack your game out on your back that night. I think a balance needs to be struck, and to limit access only to those who can afford horses, or are in iron man shape would cut the # of hunters by at least 3/4, which would lead to an overall ban on hunting.
I for one enjoy hunting on foot as stated before, but an atv is a tool that has its place, and just like any other tool it can be abused, but to make a sweeping judgment that atvs are all bad sounds allot like the anti-gun crowd stating all guns are bad, or rifle hunters saying that all skinny bow hunters are all self rightous snobs.