Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATV's ? Yes or No?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ATV's ? Yes or No?

Mine has been priceless when its time to hang a stand. Getting the ladder & stand into the woods is so much easier with the ATV. During season it will be parked at the camp. I'll come and get it to get my deer out. I'll walk to my stand though.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

you all have your reasons as to why to use them and why not to use them, but when you have a diabled hunter like my father who had polio when he was a kid and can't walk hardly at all it is the only way for me to get him to his stand so he can do what he loves HUNT.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always use ATVs while hunting. They work nicely out in Wyoming and Montana. It doesnt seem to spook deer. Most of the time they are curious about the noise
Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see if a person has a disability and limited mobility possibly using one to get to and from a stand or remove game. I personally want to part of ATV or snow machine for hunting. They take away from the hunt the sense of sound, sight and smell. What are you in a big hurry to get from point A to point B for anyway? It's a big part of the hunt for me to get out and use my boots, legs and all the senses to their fulles, which you just can't do to the same extent on a machine. The same goes for Grouse hunting as big game.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The landowners across the from my cabin always ride their atv's year-round.Come hunting season,I watch the deer from one of my stands stop and check out their property.The deer avoid that area and usuallyhead down by my stand
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used an ATV since about 1984. Does not seem to matter. Like others have posted, I have killed nice mature bucks with the ATV not 100 yards away.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:57 PM

NO FOUR-WHEELER! Use those feet got gave you to scout.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm glad no atv's are allowed in the public land area's i hunt. they are public access year around but you have to walk or ride a bicycle. this keeps out 90% of the "slob" hunters.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Spike

Yea there are alot of atv tracks or off road trails where I hunt I thought that even riding a mountain bike to and from would probably be pretty quiet down a sandy trail plus if deer hear it they would probably have no idea what it was.

Also I have been in my stand for hours and then seen deer on several occassions from people riding dirtbikes and stirring up the bedded deer.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There definitely would be less opportunity for Elk hunting on public (BLM) land out West (e.g. WY) if ATVs and other motorized vehicles were allow on that land. Elk herds andwhere they feed, bed, etc.are definitely affected by any significant motorized traffic and would be pushed further back into private and wilderness area.
It takes getting off the seat and onto your legs and putting miles betten roads and the mountain ridgelines and benchs where they spend much of their time.

Quick Reply: ATV's ? Yes or No?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.