Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3) >

Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Dedicated Slugger vs. ML

I had a USH in 12 ga and sold it. I got it because my remington ML was a PIA to deal with. However after using it for a few seasons I decided I liked the ML better. Price of ammo being one factor. The muzzle loader will also let you hunt two seasons in most states since you can use them in firearms season and muzzle loader season.

Paul
Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

well a ML is a nice option, but in IL, that only allows you to use it during 2nd firearm season or late season doe only ML season....so you'll still need a slugger for that 1st gun season....

According to theIllinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping regulations, it is legal to use a handgun, muzzleloader, or shotgun during the firearm deer season. It is the muzzleloader deer tag that can only be used for the second season and muzzleloader only weekend.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you get your tag/license it'll spell it out, but last year 1st season gun deer, only a slug could be used, no pistol, rifle, ML, they'll spell it out with yoru information packet....but certainly know before you bring out that ML for 1st season, DNR catches you, and they will be out checking, you'd at the minimum be getting a ticket...

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

well a ML is a nice option, but in IL, that only allows you to use it during 2nd firearm season or late season doe only ML season....so you'll still need a slugger for that 1st gun season....

According to theIllinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping regulations, it is legal to use a handgun, muzzleloader, or shotgun during the firearm deer season. It is the muzzleloader deer tag that can only be used for the second season and muzzleloader only weekend.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year we had a friend come out and hunt on our farms in Brown County, he wanted to use the smokepole, during the first firearm season. He checked with the DNR before going out, he checked with a local sporting goods store, and with a game warden, they all said he could use the smokepole for the first shotgun season
Old 06-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting with a ML several years ago ... Lyman Plainsman in 54 cal., cap-lock. Slow twist, so round ball only. Fun to shot. Not fun to clean. Rather limited range. A few years ago I won a CVA Optima "Pro" in 50 cal. in a raffle. This in-line style is a whole different animal. Took me only a short time to get the load and bullet selected that worked well. Though it groups well out to 150 yards, the drop is pretty dramatic. I am not concerned about out to about 125. I have taken many deer with this rifle, out to about 125 yards. Relatively easy to clean and very accurate. However, if all else was even, I'd go for a rifled "shot gun". I have a good friend that has never made the jump to center fire. He has one gun and 3 barrels ... and old Wingmaster in 12 ga. His Hastings rifled barrel and whatever round he is using is accurate at the range. I've been with him sighting in at 100 yards. He's always at about 2-2.5 MOA. He's taken probably 150 deer with this rifle over the past 10 or so years. Most well under 100 yards, but a few well over too. None that I know of have gone far !
Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 PM

The only ML I own is a Knight USAK. I had taken it out for several range sessions without much luck until I found the combination it liked. Now I'm shooting 3 holes touching each other at 100 yards. Only my Tikka T-3 comes close to that. Here in LA I can hunt with ML 1 week before gun season and 1 week after gun I've been tempted to bring it out during gun season, but haven't talked myself into giving up the follow up shot. BTW it only cost $99 new at Wal-mart and I got it free for helping a guy out with a radiator swap. Without a doubt the cheapest gun I own and most accurate to boot. Sooner or later I'm going to upgrade the Simmons 8-point scope sitting on top of it, but for now why fix what isn't broken.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you get your tag/license it'll spell it out, but last year 1st season gun deer, only a slug could be used, no pistol, rifle, ML, they'll spell it out with yoru information packet....but certainly know before you bring out that ML for 1st season, DNR catches you, and they will be out checking, you'd at the minimum be getting a ticket...

Bull$hit...You could use slug gun, muzzleloader, or handgun during the first season. When I checked my deer in over the phone I gave the information that I harvested my deer with my MZ. They haven't come knockin on my door. I think you better read the regs.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I have 2 sluggers and 2 muzzies, love them all, but when given the choice, I have one particular slugger that is my choice......
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow that's news to me, I'm gonna have to dig up last years regs etc....I'm surprised I haven't heard more of our slug gun being a ML season now....or pistol.....

what defines a pistol? can that be a .243 or 7mm-08 weatherby pistol? wonder how accurate you can get a 7mm-08 from a pistol.....?

I may no longer use a slugger.....

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

looks like a pistol has to be a .30cal or bigger.....who makes a pistol in like a .308?

also not sure why anyone would get the ML only tag then...if the slug permit allows you to all and more....1st season, 2nd, and that late season if your tag is unfilled.

Quick Reply: Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.