Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who Shoots First?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Who Shoots First?

For the past eight years or so my father and I have hunted apart from one another. We usually go into the woods together and then go to our own stands on our property. For the past two years we have gradually started planting food plots and now have a tower box blind amid our various food plots. This year we are planning on doing some father son hunting from our new blind. When I was younger and we sat together he would always let me be the shooter. Now that I have taken a few deer and no longer am trying to get my first I got to thinking who should get the shot if a big buck would step into shooting range.

So put yourself in the situation where two hunters are sitting together and a 160 class buck steps into range. How would you decide who gets to shoot? Would you decide before you got into the woods? Would you let the person with the better shooting angle? Would you let the person who didn't bag a buck last year take the shot? I am sure this is something my father and I will talk about before deer season but I just wanted to pose the question to see what others would do.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Default RE: Who Shoots First?

Well it depends, ifmy father has shot a trophy class deer such as that andi have not than i would shoot, my father would have no problems with this, if he hadnt shot a trophy than i would let him shoot just because you never know how many more oppertunities he will have to get ot there and u will have many more to come.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: billybob7922

Well it depends, ifmy father has shot a trophy class deer such as that andi have not than i would shoot, my father would have no problems with this, if he hadnt shot a trophy than i would let him shoot just because you never know how many more oppertunities he will have to get ot there and u will have many more to come.
x2. definately decide before the oppertunity comes up, this way there's no confusion inside the blind and the buck get's away.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paper, Rock, Scissors
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Well it depends, ifmy father has shot a trophy class deer such as that andi have not than i would shoot, my father would have no problems with this, if he had shot a trophy than i would let him shoot just because you never know how many more opportunities he will have to get ot there and u will have many more to come.
You my friend are a compassionate, considerate, lovingand unselfishindividual....IMO, you truly love your dad!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM

Been there a time or three...

I always, regardless of who it is or what they didn't"got" last year, whisper, "You shoot, I'll back it up........"
Old 06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Well it depends, ifmy father has shot a trophy class deer such as that andi have not than i would shoot, my father would have no problems with this, if he had shot a trophy than i would let him shoot just because you never know how many more opportunities he will have to get ot there and u will have many more to come.
You my friend are a compassionate, considerate, lovingand unselfishindividual....IMO, you truly love your dad!

I second that too.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just second year of my son carring a gun and I am going to continue to let him shoot first. I have killed any huge deer but I will let him shoot even if the big daddy steps out.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol thats a tough situation. i myself am just as pumped up when the ol man gets one as i am when i get one. im only 24 and hes 50 but i know that his days are numbered compared to mine and he has let some cockers go when i was younger so i could shoot. w/ that said we both go by the smae basic phylosiphy......take 'em when you can.....we both hunt by tracking and usually seperate but we often will double team a buck if he gives us troublke for a couple days in a row. double teaming works awesome. two guys on one deer track. the first one to see the deer shoots...usually this is the guy in back because he doesnbt have to pay attention to deer tracks and can be focusing on looking for the buck himself..

when i was younger thing werte different. ide get set down by him up on a saddle where the big bucks like to cross and he would do all kinds of leg woprk to put the bucks in my face so ide say he used to let me do the shooting......i was raised a liyttle diferent up here too and that meant if two or three nice bucks came out lay them buggers down too...good luck in your decision
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

A little bit different situation here, but the grandsons get all the shots. I've killed plenty of deer.

Quick Reply: Who Shoots First?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.