Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who Shoots First?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who Shoots First?

I would defenitely have something worked out ahead of time. Be it at the camp or in the stand. You sit on the right side of the blind then you shoot any deer that comes from the right and vice versa.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cynikalHC

I would definitely have something worked out ahead of time. Be it at the camp or in the stand. You sit on the right side of the blind then you shoot any deer that comes from the right and vice versa.
Yes!.....my son and I have always went by those rules......If you sit on the Right, you shoot Forward & Right on the Leftside, Forward & Left......Same when walking and shooting quail......
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand why you need to sit together at this point. You say that you have hunted apart from each other for 8 years, so why start up again now? You can take turns sitting at the food plot, but maybe one of you guys can sit at another stand away from it. Maybe somewhere where you know the deer are likely to approach the food plot from? I just think the odds of success are increased if you guys hunt from two different vantage points. There is plenty of time for bonding after you guys are back at camp.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I don't understand why you need to sit together at this point. You say that you have hunted apart from each other for 8 years, so why start up again now? You can take turns sitting at the food plot, but maybe one of you guys can sit at another stand away from it. Maybe somewhere where you know the deer are likely to approach the food plot from? I just think the odds of success are increased if you guys hunt from two different vantage points. There is plenty of time for bonding after you guys are back at camp.
Thats kind of the way that I feel as well. The more land that you two cover apart from each other the better the chances are of taking something. But it sounds more like the "hunting" for you two is more about spending time with one another rather than actually taking game which is cool too.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Nothing like a father and son hunt where you can just sit there in the blind and enjoy the day together whether you get a deer or not. It is the time spent together that becomes priceless especially when you look back one day and remember he is no longer there. I get as much joy being part of a kill regardless of who shoots. The decision on who gets the shot should be made in advance. Seeing how you have elected to hunt with him it must be because you value being directly with him more than a chance at getting an extra buck out of 2 locations. Give the old guy the shot. I am sure he probably did the same for you when you were young.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Since my dad has never killed a wall hanger I would let him shoot first. Now, he's had multiple oppurtunities at big deer but chokes every time so I'd feel comfortable backing him up since I'd probably get an oppurtunity to still kill the deer. Personally, if I was your dad I'd get just as much enjoyment watching you kill a deer.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Last year my boys were 8 and 11. When I hunt with them, they always take the first shot. They both shot deer last year. I hunt alone at least 50% of the time giving me plenty of opportuntiy.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I am going to go against the grain on this one a little bit. When my Dad and I go out hunting together the rule is that whoever gets the shot off first....shoots first. LOL.
My Dadgot into a situation with his Dad quite a few years ago. They were hunting together when out of nowwhere a nice buck popped up. They both looked at each other with a "who is going to shoot first" look. They almost took too much time, but my Dad ended up shooting him. Ever since then the rule has been if you see one don't wait for the other guy just shoot it.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM

if i have shot a couple deer i would totally let him shoot it especially since my dad has never shot a deer.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I would talk about it before hand. I have yet to kill a big whitetail, but to be honest I think I would get a bigger thrill out of my dad shooting it. After all he's done for me in life generally, and hunting particularly, it would be a small way to try and repay the debt.

Quick Reply: Who Shoots First?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.