Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic or

Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ballistic or

I've been shooting 180 gr Federal Premium Accubonds for the past two years. For this years deer season, I'm considering swiching to 150gr. What are your thoughts on the Winchester Ballistic tips in .300 WSM (or any magnum caliber)

I've also considered the 150 Remington Corelocks
Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic or

Ballistic tips are deadly and work well, as I have used the winchesters for the past 7 years. I am changing though for lack of a blood trail. They expand so fast that blood is sparse and you are better off on a marginal shot with a corelock. I may also be trying the Fusion, cant remember who makes those right off hand though.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bonded bullets only for me. I don't like the ballistic tips.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hate any rapid expansion bullet. barnes and tbbc and even a corelokt, particurally the round nose corelokts. i supose for stand hunting they would be fine but here in maine we kill our deer by tracking and seldom get a good shot. i want a bullet that will hold together and go the legnth of the deer and get into the vitals if i have to shoot at him ruinning away
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a 30-06 I have used Hornady 150gr SST's on quite a few deer and all of them have done the job well....come to think of it all of them were pass throughs also. These should be quite similar to the Winchester Ballistic Tips.
Once again in a 30-06 I have used the Remington Core-Lokts, and they worked great also.
I imagine that for deer either would work well for you. Shot placement will be the key.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 180 gr ballistic silvertips in my 30-06 and have not had a deer travel more than 30 yds after being hit, in fact that majority drop on the spot. I also shoot 140 gr accubonds and sst's from my 270 WSM with the same result. Location of the shot I feel is the determining factor. If your concerned about it go with a heavy for caliber bullet and it will provide what your looking for.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

Ballistic tips are deadly and work well, as I have used the winchesters for the past 7 years. I am changing though for lack of a blood trail. They expand so fast that blood is sparse and you are better off on a marginal shot with a corelock. I may also be trying the Fusion, cant remember who makes those right off hand though.
[]That is exactly what I was going to say! I've used em for the past 2 years, either winchester silver tips or accubonds in my .270. I've shot 4 deer with em, but not a single one left a blood trail. Although none of them went more than 30 yards, its hard to find them in heavy brush and dogfennel (what a night).
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my personal opinion. I don't like Ballistic Tips I've heard to many bad stories. Also on the nosler website it states they have a maximum expantion velocity of 3000fps. Many rifles clear this for the first 100 yards easily which will make the close shots risky.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=3
Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Bonded bullets only for me. I don't like the ballistic tips.
Same here!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

What have been the results of the deer you have killed with the 180gr Accubonds??? I can't imagine a deer walking very far after having one of those missles hitting it, I kill them all the time with 85 and 100gr bullets out of a .243...

The Accubonds are a "harder" bullet than the original ballistic tips which came out a few years ago, my cousin has had good success with his .270 WSM and the 140gr Accubonds loaded by Federal...

As far as the softer balistic tips, one of my brothers has killed a few dozen deer with his 7mm-08 and ballistic tips...I think in a 7mm-08 or a .308 where max velocity runs about 2800 fps the ballistic tips shine...

If you want to try the 150 for flatter trajectory then they should be fine, it's just beyond me why a 180gr .30 caliber bullet won't do all that needs to be done to a whitetail...

Quick Reply: Ballistic or

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.