Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV >

Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

Uv brighteners hadn't really come along until the last 20 or so years. Thats why most older clothing does not glow. And it is not that they were not around at all, but like most things in time, the technology gets better and more refined with time.....

It used to be that you could wash jeans and shirts a few times, and the colors were faded quickly. Now you can wash something 100 times and it will still look new ( color wise ). Thats the UV brighteners.

Maybe this sheds a little perspective on why folks used to still kill big deer, even without UV killer sprays...... We didn't need them then, because we had very little UV brightening.

God Bless

Michael

Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Uv brighteners hadn't really come along until the last 20 or so years. Thats why most older clothing does not glow. And it is not that they were not around at all, but like most things in time, the technology gets better and more refined with time.....

It used to be that you could wash jeans and shirts a few times, and the colors were faded quickly. Now you can wash something 100 times and it will still look new ( color wise ). Thats the UV brighteners.

Maybe this sheds a little perspective on why folks used to still kill big deer, even without UV killer sprays...... We didn't need them then, because we had very little UV brightening.

God Bless

Michael
You got it right MT!!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I always thought that this was another money making skeem for the manufactureres.... but for a $10.00 kit to make sure I think what the heck. I just ordered one thanks to jrbsrso I can be sure.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I was unaware that deer had blacklights for eyes.
They can see into a longer light spectum than we can (UV Rays)...In case you also didn't know, you can't blind deer with lights either. The part that reflects light back to you is called the Tatum, that's why you can see thier eyeswhen light shines at them. Etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,...........
I fugured it was pausable just never been told how. I just felt like being a smart butt.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM

A copied post I saved from Kevin. I know when I started using non UV soap on my gear the times I was spotted in the stand dropped dramatically!

Believe that if you like , but here's how they really see , and yes they can see certain colors:

Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Garsh Hotburn, I never knew you cared...

BTW, the graph you posted is for scotopic(night) vision, here's the photopic(day) vision graph:

Both graphs clearly illustrate that UV brighteners are bad for hunting deer.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

I did my own experiement last year.. I do believe deer can see more UV colors than we do.. And 20 years ago, the laudry companies and companies didn't add UV brightners to thier stuff. Then they started adding it to make it more appealing to consumers. Which, was bad for hunting.. Most of the Name brand camo clothing companies have figured this out and stop adding UV stuff to thier clothes. And now you can buy non UV brighter detergent as well.. Oh by the way.. The UV stuff only really applies in low light conditions.. IE Early morning and late afternoon..

Bottom line.. Get you a little black light to check your clothes. And make sure you use Unscented/Non UV brightener detergent and you will be fine..
Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Well I got the kit in but was shorted the two samples (UV-Killer & Sport wash). I just got off the phone with them and they said they would have them sent out to me.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM

I used a black light to test all my hunting attire. I have enough outer garments to last for 3 weeks plus. I have several name brands and several "Whatever was for sale" I found nothing that showed even a low degree of UV. The only garment I have which glows was a set of coveralls and hat from the 70's "Treebark." I stopped wearing it seveal years ago because it seem like I was geting spotted by deer.

One pair of Sent Lok had a showing of UV in the flower looking camo print and the thread in the buttons; however, I have shot several bucks while wearing that shirt, pants and coat.

I checked some other non hunting winter clothes and they all glowed. I think there is too much hype regarding the UV issue, but it never hurts to check.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:18 PM

I bought into the info-mercial years ago and bought the UV -killer and sprotwash and really didn't notice a difference, so I didn't really worry about, but about5 years ago I got a bunch of new camo gear and it almost seemed to me like the deer were skirting around me just outta bow range. So I opted to to try the UV light my wife bought to look for the Cat stains on the carpet and low and behold they glowed like the preverbial X-mas tree. I picked up some UV-killer at wally world and sprayed down my new camo and once dried the glow was gone and I have plenty of deer in range. I don't know if it spokes them or if they just see a range of colors that just don't seem right to them and they just get cautious.