Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

no, i wouldn't use the "can" call. it imitates a doe in heat (unless there is a new one), it may work as to peak the intrest of another deer but to get more advanced in your calling you want to be saying "hey, come over here". when using a fawn call i like to start with a soft bleat...then get more whiny by raising the tone a little and extending the bleat just like a child whines. when you do it think back when you were a kid and you said "but mommmmmm" when fawn bleating you want to nag the deer into seeing what you want, you will be supprised of how much they will come in on a string in any season. when i doe grunt, it is a little bit simpler as i just raise the tone just a little and i don't add too much whine on my second grunt. whatever you do don't make you call scream "HEY! COME OVER HERE!" deer hear very well and will often ignor your first call to later work his way to see who was talking, most of the calls i do are almost mumbled under my breath untill i do a sequence that gets a little more bold and whiny each time, loud calls can scare deer.

as for using sents in the early season, i never use them except to help cover my odor, i place doe urine on the bottom of my boots, it isn't going to attract another deer in the early season but probably 1 in 100, i have never used the real expensive doe in heat so i don't know if that will peak the intrest of a buck. i know the cheaper doe in heat bottles you get at walmart or cabelas don't attract at all unless you got that one lucky bottle that actually has a doe in heat. i am sure other people have had better success with using sents in the early season but 90% of my strategy comes from calling.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: vmartin

no, i wouldn't use the "can" call. it imitates a doe in heat (unless there is a new one), it may work as to peak the intrest of another deer but to get more advanced in your calling you want to be saying "hey, come over here". when using a fawn call i like to start with a soft bleat...then get more whiny by raising the tone a little and extending the bleat just like a child whines. when you do it think back when you were a kid and you said "but mommmmmm" when fawn bleating you want to nag the deer into seeing what you want, you will be supprised of how much they will come in on a string in any season. when i doe grunt, it is a little bit simpler as i just raise the tone just a little and i don't add too much whine on my second grunt. whatever you do don't make you call scream "HEY! COME OVER HERE!" deer hear very well and will often ignor your first call to later work his way to see who was talking, most of the calls i do are almost mumbled under my breath untill i do a sequence that gets a little more bold and whiny each time, loud calls can scare deer.

as for using sents in the early season, i never use them except to help cover my odor, i place doe urine on the bottom of my boots, it isn't going to attract another deer in the early season but probably 1 in 100, i have never used the real expensive doe in heat so i don't know if that will peak the intrest of a buck. i know the cheaper doe in heat bottles you get at walmart or cabelas don't attract at all unless you got that one lucky bottle that actually has a doe in heat. i am sure other people have had better success with using sents in the early season but 90% of my strategy comes from calling.
so i should use a fawn call but not the fawn "can" call?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

that is up to you, the can may work just fine, it would be cool to try the can. the only problem with it is that it can only say the same thing with the same tone every time. deer use variations in their voce and the length of their grunts and then they add emphasis on certian notes. using a regular grunter and placing emphasis and tone variations says a whole lot more then just a "blat"...."blat". it is up to you on how far you would want to take it but it sure beats the hell out of watching that deer walk out of range and wondering what if i had a tried to call to him.

you aren't always going to win when you are calling and there will be a time or 2 that you say why did i do that. one thing i learned the hard way is that i rarely make a call if there is no cover or structure around so the deer can see that there is nobody there, i have had a few deer blow the alarm when they can clearly see that there was no other deer around. on the flip side i have had deer walking circles back and fourth around my treestand trying to find this "deer" that keeps talking to me every time i turn my head.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM

so basically i should pour out some corn? and call using a fawn can call or just a fawn call? and just use a cover scent?