Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO? >

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Default RE: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

The business owners are your primary pen hunters. It is a way to rewardgood clients. By treating them to a different kind of hunting. Something the client would not usually do on his own. Plus, during the hunt all parties get more acquainted and have memories outside the office.

If someone was to take me on a $10,000 pen hunt and pay for it. Ya, I would do it in a heart beat. It is not the usual way I would hunt, but I am always up for a new experience.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I would rather go dove huntin' with a bunch of friends while watchin' an Auburn football game on a portable tv and then grill what we kill and wash it down with a cold beer. I would much much rather go on an unsuccessful turkey hunt that's for sure....at least I would feel like I learned something or gained some new experience to make me a better hunter. If I were to shoot a caged buck, everytime I would look at the mount I wouldn't feel a thing. No sense of accomplishment, no sense of appreciation for the outdoors, and no sense of appreciation for the sport of hunting. It would be of no value to me and I would probably sell it for gas money. Deer hunting is a game to some of these people. Heck, deer hunting on a computer game would be harder than killing a caged deer in my opinion. I know it's become a huge business and I reckon that's all well and good for "cage-owners', but I always try to look at the big picture and wonder what hunting is gonna be like when my grandkids are my age, hoping there will still be some sort of appreciation and desire to just enjoy being in the woods. And this may be a bit too much, but I wonder what God is saying to Himself about caging up a deer, killing it, and calling that a sport? I am an enormous HUNTING advocate and will always support "fair-chase" hunting and MY right to bear every single one of my arms, but killing a caged deer aint huntin'.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think that lots of folks have gotten so caught up in the big rack fad as well as playing with all the new deer hunting toys that they have forgotten how much fun an old fashioned dove, squirrel, or rabbit hunt can be, if they have even done stuff like that.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Lanse. It's sad to think that there's people out there who haven't been involved in a big dove shoot or rabbit hunt. But they're not worried about that because they "harvested" a 200 class whitetail buck that looks spectacular on their wall! That's all they want is a wall decoration. It's pure B.S.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was raised around people who just thought of themselves as hunters. Deer season was just one of several huntingseasons that they dealt with in the annual cycle. Now it has reached the point where people often simply think in terms ofhunting as pretty much deer hunting. And they pretty much think in terms of big racks. That's their right, but it does tend to result in a rather narrow view of the concept of hunting as well as other hunters.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CzechlandOutfitters

The business owners are your primary pen hunters. It is a way to rewardgood clients. By treating them to a different kind of hunting. Something the client would not usually do on his own. Plus, during the hunt all parties get more acquainted and have memories outside the office.

If someone was to take me on a $10,000 pen hunt and pay for it. Ya, I would do it in a heart beat. It is not the usual way I would hunt, but I am always up for a new experience.

Well good for you......what a hunter you are.What kind of "experience" would you get out of that.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

these guys are killing huge deer that have nowhere to run and hide.
Are you saying that on a 10,000 acre high-fence ranch, a deer has nowhere to run and hide?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

No need to chase them because you know which feeder they will be at and when. The high fences on the big ranches are just to keep the wild hogs from stealing the corn out of the feeders.[8D]
Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Spike

I have not hunted very much because unfortunately I live in an area where there is no hunting (Miami, FL) and I can't afford to drive North every other weekend to go hunting as often as many of you do. This makes a huge difference in my ability to track, use camerasand "chase" deer on the one weekend a year that I can go hunting.

As a matter of fact, I have only been hunting four times, once a year in the last four years. The first time was in a high fenced ranch that had a few thousand acres and although I did spot a doe for a brief moment and saw large deer track leading into the woods I was unable to shoot anythingbut a hog because the deer kept to the woods. On my next hunt in an "open" hunting area in SC I shot my one and only doe. The owners of thisland had stands placed in well traveled areas and the doe came out at the right time for me.

With my brief experience in mind I willsay that I don't like the idea of "canned" hunts in small stocked areas; however, if a high fenced area is large enough to support adequate habitat which will allow the deer to roam and hide, then I have no problem hunting there.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

these guys are killing huge deer that have nowhere to run and hide.
Are you saying that on a 10,000 acre high-fence ranch, a deer has nowhere to run and hide?
If they were good enough hunters they wouldn't be there in the first place. And if they were more appreciative of what God has given them in hunting and the outdoors, they would be content with the animals they harvest. Bottomline, natural habitats and natural unaltered geneticswere notgood enough for their wallsat home, so they put up a high fence and started stocking the "compound" withwhatever kinda deer they want kill. Don't try to justify it to me, it's shameful and cowardly.

Quick Reply: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.