Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO? >

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

dude, you know this is just going to start an argument, you should have never made a post about it![:@]
Everyone should be able to state their opinion without there being an arguement. I think the difference between these two senariosmakes for interesting answers. I personally would not hunt in any high fenced area no matter how big or small, but that's just me. I have posted this same question on 6 different forums and the answers have been pretty interesting and maybe I have learned something from them. Just because I wouldn't hunt this way doesn't mean someone else shouldn't be able to. What about the person that has a life threatening illness and dreams of taking a big whitetail? What about a handicaped person who can't do it on their own and needs the help of others? Right or wrong, maybe it does haveit's place.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

All high fenced hunting should be banned. Thousands of acres doesn't matter. The deer are still in a controlled enviroment. Thats not hunting and shouldn't be considered as such. Any able bodied person that is completely capable of it should hunt like a man and chase free roaming critters. I have no problems with handicapped people participating in these kinds of hunts, but the number of people that are actually handicap hunting in high fences is a fraction of a percent. The other 99.99% are perfectly cpapable hunters.Thats not a good argument for high fence hunts. Ban them all.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter to me what everyone else does cause I have the priviledge to hunt some private land. But if all fenced hunting were to be banned, then would hunting animals in Hawaii or any other islands be banned? They are surrounded by water just as land may be surrounded by a tall fence.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Mottz

It doesn't matter to me what everyone else does cause I have the priviledge to hunt some private land. But if all fenced hunting were to be banned, then would hunting animals in Hawaii or any other islands be banned? They are surrounded by water just as land may be surrounded by a tall fence.
That's a great point Mottz. Kinda like hunting Kodiak Island. I will repeat too, I will not hunt in a high fence area, but I wouldn't say ban them because that is taking away or saying if your handicapped or have a life threatening illness and won't be around next season, you don't get the chance to fulfill your dream of the trophy you would like. I really likea good learning debate like this.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fences or no fences, if your shooting animals at great distances witha rifle (like most do)... who cares, fair chase has already been negated.
High fences that purposely inhibit animal movement should befrowned upon but as long as its legal....
Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

I'd be too damned embarrassed to shoot an animal on a fenced ranch. I think it turns hunting into a sport and begins to rot it from the inside out. Grow a pair and come hunting with me for a season....but I guess some guys can feel good braggin about a deer on the wall from a fenced hunt.

Brett
Old 06-15-2008, 04:00 PM

What people don't understand is that the animal plays a large part in the hunt.

You can have a fair chase whitetail hunt on acreage in the hundreds to thousands of acres if it is fenced, because a whitetails are homebodies for most of their lives (besides yearling bucks) and generally tend to stay VERY close to their place of birth. Their habits are not altered by a fence and they maintain the same pattern that they would without one, hence not altering the hunter/hunted relationship in any way.

People that hunt Elk, Sheep, Moose, Mule Deer or the exotics behind fences have a different experience. Other native animals like Mulies, Elk Sheep, Moose and the like tend to move large distances over the course of their lifetime. In Many cases these migrations are vertical going up in the warmer months and down in the cooler months to escape snows.

Fences restric these animal's natural movements, and change the hunting patterns.

A south texas whitetail hunt on a fenced ranch is vastly different than an elk hunt in Alberta on a ranch of the same size simply because of animal traits.

That being said, I don't have a problem with anyone doing either one. The deer hunt is just the one that isn't any different from a non fenced hunt.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tdm69

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

dude, you know this is just going to start an argument, you should have never made a post about it![:@]
Everyone should be able to state their opinion without there being an arguement. I think the difference between these two senariosmakes for interesting answers. I personally would not hunt in any high fenced area no matter how big or small, but that's just me. I have posted this same question on 6 different forums and the answers have been pretty interesting and maybe I have learned something from them. Just because I wouldn't hunt this way doesn't mean someone else shouldn't be able to. What about the person that has a life threatening illness and dreams of taking a big whitetail? What about a handicaped person who can't do it on their own and needs the help of others? Right or wrong, maybe it does haveit's place.
i agree, but it just doesnt work that way on forums, people are going to end up arguing over it.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

You can't bring up a topic like "high fenced shooting" and expect no one to argue.

Brett
Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

What is the exact meaning of the word hunt? It says in my dictionary " to pursue or lie in wait for gamefor food orsport". It doesn't mention whether it's behind a fence or on open range. Some folks say that to pay a guide isn't really hunting either?We all interpret things differently and we should be glad of this. Although personally I don't care for either.I say if canned hunting or guided huntingis your cup of tea, then by all means go for it, at least you're hunting and that's what our sport needs. Remember all of us don't have the same amount of time or money so we hunt what we can afford money wise and time wise.

Spudrow from MO

Quick Reply: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.