Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How good is the Primo's Buck Growl?? >

How good is the Primo's Buck Growl??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How good is the Primo's Buck Growl??

Old 06-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default How good is the Primo's Buck Growl??

I seenthe Primo's buck growlin a video today and it did wonders for the dude using it,I was wondering if it was even worth buying, or am i wasting 20 bucks??
Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How good is the Primo's Buck Growl??

Worked for me in 2006.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what I've read on "buck growls" is that is a rare vocalization.....according to the experts, and could possibly do more harm that good.....

May be a last resort to have in your bag during the rut on that buck thats holding up out aways.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

i thought it was alright, i did get some positive reactions but like "salukipv1" said you should just use it in the rut or peak chasing periods. i am partial to the "true talker" grunt call by hs calls. i can get every form of grunt and bleat out of it, including the buck growl.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to use it as mainly a " Grunt " call. I haven't really used it as a growl. It has a great deep gutteral sound, and the sound carries pretty far.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been deer hunting for close to 42 years and I've never heard a buck growl.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Some swear by it....others swear AT it...
Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck growl is just a long drawn out and generally aggressive grunt. It can be made with most grunt calls so a specialized call is a joke in my opinion.. I have heard it a few times - about as often as a snort wheeze. I have never had more than a passive response with it however. I am sure it can work, but like everything else, only sometimes.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's become my favorite call in the deer woods. It's an outstanding sounding, deep guttural, authentic tone that seems to attract more animals than any other grunter I've used in the past. Also, when actually used as a "roar' or growler it doesn't break or cut out or have that ducky sound like similar calls, such as the MAD Growl does. Just a better all around call, in my humble opinion.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The main key in using either the Primos Roar or MAD Growl is that conditions have to be perfect in order for it to work. There has to be does in the area that are ready to breed, the more bucks you have in an area helps as well, so you want a good buck to doe ratio. My buck to doe ration sucked last year so the call was worthless to me. What i have seen this year on my property for bucks seems that this is going to be my main call from Oct 31 -Nov 30th possibly into Mid December. I use the MAD Growl not the Primos Roar. Also mixed with The Can call, rattlin antlers this call is even more effective as a friend found out last year when he was playing around with all 3 to see what would happen. Again though, conditions were perfect, buck to doe ratio was great, it was the peak of the rut, the temps were cool. Wish I had pics of the buck he shot. I will see if I can get one and post it. This was a very mature whitetail taken out of South Central Wi.

Quick Reply: How good is the Primo's Buck Growl??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.