Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How much will gas prices effect your deer hunting this year? >

How much will gas prices effect your deer hunting this year?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much will gas prices effect your deer hunting this year?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much will gas prices effect your deer hunting this year?

I normally go on several tris a year for 3 or four day weekends I will just have to go fewer times but for a longer period of time.
And I don't see there being anyway gas will be down by fall its gonna get worse before it gets better.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bowhunt only 25 minutes from my house and when rifle season rolls around 3 of us drive about an hour so we split the gas. Hey, its deer season and I'm going either way!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's still 230+ miles down and 230+ miles back home. I'll do it the weekend before and the weekend after Thanksgiving. I won't let it affect my hunting. I will hunt closer to home for the Illinois muzzleloader season though. I'll be within 30 miles of home for that.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same distance I travel every other year. What will probably happen though is that I won't be getting in the truck to change spots throughout the day though. I usually have better luck when I just follow the trails and stay on foot anyway. I'll just have a longer drag back to the truck seeing as how I hunt on private land that borders state game lands so the owner also enforces the no motor driven vehicle rules. The nice part about it though is that I have almost 2500 contigous acres to hunt between the private and game lands. About the only thing that would determine how much gas I use while I'm there is the weather and condition of the dirt roads that I use to access the area that occasionally forces you to drive and additional 10 miles or so to enter from the other side of town.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

We will switch off driving. Three guys in my area are in the same hunt club. I also bought a 96 Honda accord and it is great on gas.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on hunting at least the same and hopefully more. Im going to try to pick up a few buddies when I hit public ground for upland game. Im figuring the gas will be double so If I can get a buddy or two to go it will really help out. My public spots are around an hour to and hour and a half, 120 miles well say round trip. Say 7 gallons of gas, $4 a gallon, thats $28. Divide that by 2 or 3, thats not much at all. I might just make up for it by making my lunch instead of hitting a restaurant for lunch.

Its the 3 of 4 hour trips that are really going to hurt, but anything under 2 hours I'm no to worried about. Im too addicted to hunting to worry to much about gas at this point for the shorter trips. $6 a gallon, then I'll start to worry.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

I will have my oldestniece and nephew with me hunting this year. We will be sharing the gas costs. Although I am not hunting within 5 miles of my place this year, it still shouldn't be too bad. As everyone else is saying, a lot more walking and trailing than driving from place to place.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

DD, how could you even ask a question like that? lol ;D Whitetail hunting is truly a spiritual experience and without it I believe that individuals like you and myself would most likely implode. Now we wouldn't want that to happen wouldwe? If I have to make dandilion mash to put in the tank I'm going.Itmight be nice though to not have enough gas so I would have to stay in the bush and not go back to work. (not realistic but a nice thought). Only2 and a half months to archery season!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

I want to say Im gonna go as much as ever but Im looking at $150 - 200 per weekend in gas, plus food, plus beer, plus sausage processing, plus $8 a frickin bag for corn........its gonna be rough.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey DD. One option you didn't put up. I will go as much as usual but it will have an effect on my budget. I plan on doing a bunch of side work over the summer to be able to pay for gas. I'm also taking all the overtime I can get. I will make fewer scouting trips year.

Quick Reply: How much will gas prices effect your deer hunting this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.