Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many deer have you killed? >

How many deer have you killed?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer have you killed?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many deer have you killed?

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

I've taken alot of deer, but not enough. The largest buck was not large enough. But thats what keeps me wound up during the weeks leading up to hunting season. I don't know which matters the most Quality or Quantity, or if the shear joy of hunting is more valuable than both combined.

if that was the case with me, i would just quit. its alla bout the last part that i hilighted
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 PM

I would have to say... probably 300-400.. it may be lower... but it seems like a 10+ per year average isn't too far off...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats crazy stuff guys, but i have to say that its different where you live i guess. We should also include state bag limits
Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

This is a question I really don't care answer especially if I think people are keeping score. How many have I killed, or many could I have killed? Some people have better places to hunt than others, others have more deer in the area, others have more time to hunt, some people can legally kill more deer than others, you name it the list can go on and on.

I manage to kill a deer every season I hunt, I don't hunt every year. I usually kill one deer a year, be it with a bow or gun. I don't have a lot of opportunities to hunt or a lot of land I can hunt so my resources are pretty limited. I normally only hunt one stand, if I'm lucky I can get two up. And I will be honest I don't hunt as hard as most either. I have a pretty physical job that requires me to get up very early in the morning (3 am) and I have a family. So sometimes hunting is more hassle that it's worth to me. I will be honest and say I'm not as hardcore as some of you are when it comes to hunting. I do it because it is something I enjoy, when it starts to take so much effort that it's not enjoyable anymore or puts a strain on my home life I don't see the point behind it. I'm not doing it because I'm out to prove anything to anyone.

Let's just say I've killed a lot less deer than I could have if I really put my mind to it. But on the other hand I have never bought a tag that I didn't fill. All depends on how you want to measure success I guess.

Paul
those people wouldnt have 25 if they hunted florida state landit is so frickin hard to get permits, everything is randomly drawn
i agree w/ the "some ppl have better places to hunt then other" i garentee you boys w/ the over 100 plus mark wouldnt even come close if you tried hunting in maine
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IL_ray_phillips

Lost Count of total #'s. I am pretty picky on bucks. I have only taken 10 of them.

AWESOME collection of bucks!! Just AWESOME!!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ill, have you scored that freak of nature?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

As you mentioned, it's all about where you've grown up hunting. In SC we have a 4 1/2 month season in the lower half of the state. We've had no limit on bucks for 10 or more years now. With around 12 either sex days with a 2 per day limit and an additional 5 either sex tags available over the counter, many hunters here kill 25 to 50 a year. That's more opportunity than an entire lifetime of hunting in some of the northern border states with a 1 or 2 deer a year limit. I don't keep count anymore as I've become one of those hunters who justenjoys beingin the woods and kills only enough for the freezer.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

My numbers (mostly prior to 1995) are in the 200's somewhere. I lost count!

Then I got pick and started bowhunting more. I have killed exactly 16 with the bow! My last3 bucks were in 1999 (11 pt.), 2001(9 pt)and 2002 (9 pt). I pass on bucks now thatI used to shoot in a heartbeat! I seem to be at this point in my life that quality is better than quantity!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over the past 46 years I have probably taken350 +/-. Where I have hunted hunt in Alabama the past 35 years or so, there have been extremely high numbers of deer and a strong emphasis on taking does ... which I do. It is legal to take up to 2 does a day from October 15-jan. 31. Has been for years. Last year I took 2 bucks and 12 does. This has been typical, though in 2004 I killed 43 does.Off the 3200 acres I hunt , we as a group, under the direction of a professional wildlife bioligist and game management expert, have been encouraged to take 100 does/year. And we do usually get close - 75-90 usually. I have seen not one iota of dent being made in the numbers I see. What I have seen is bigger bodies. It is amazing to me. Of course on totally a free-range, I am sure that many , many migrate in to take advantage of the good food sources that exist on the great habitatt on this piece of property.

I keep maybe 3-4/year for my family's yearlyconsumption and donate the remainder to "feeding the hungry" programs and to those families I know want and need the meat.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

Over the past 46 years I have probably taken350 +/-. Where I have hunted hunt in Alabama the past 35 years or so, there have been extremely high numbers of deer and a strong emphasis on taking does ... which I do. It is legal to take up to 2 does a day from October 15-jan. 31. Has been for years. Last year I took 2 bucks and 12 does. This has been typical, though in 2004 I killed 43 does.Off the 3200 acres I hunt , we as a group, under the direction of a professional wildlife bioligist and game management expert, have been encouraged to take 100 does/year. And we do usually get close - 75-90 usually. I have seen not one iota of dent being made in the numbers I see. What I have seen is bigger bodies. It is amazing to me. Of course on totally a free-range, I am sure that many , many migrate in to take advantage of the good food sources that exist on the great habitatt on this piece of property.

I keep maybe 3-4/year for my family's yearlyconsumption and donate the remainder to "feeding the hungry" programs and to those families I know want and need the meat.
It hunters like you who help out the unfortunate that groups like PETA totally ignore. Keep up the great work

Quick Reply: How many deer have you killed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.