Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many deer have you killed? >

How many deer have you killed?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer have you killed?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many deer have you killed?

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

This is a question I really don't care answer especially if I think people are keeping score. How many have I killed, or many could I have killed? Some people have better places to hunt than others, others have more deer in the area, others have more time to hunt, some people can legally kill more deer than others, you name it the list can go on and on.

I manage to kill a deer every season I hunt, I don't hunt every year. I usually kill one deer a year, be it with a bow or gun. I don't have a lot of opportunities to hunt or a lot of land I can hunt so my resources are pretty limited. I normally only hunt one stand, if I'm lucky I can get two up. And I will be honest I don't hunt as hard as most either. I have a pretty physical job that requires me to get up very early in the morning (3 am) and I have a family. So sometimes hunting is more hassle that it's worth to me. I will be honest and say I'm not as hardcore as some of you are when it comes to hunting. I do it because it is something I enjoy, when it starts to take so much effort that it's not enjoyable anymore or puts a strain on my home life I don't see the point behind it. I'm not doing it because I'm out to prove anything to anyone.

Let's just say I've killed a lot less deer than I could have if I really put my mind to it. But on the other hand I have never bought a tag that I didn't fill. All depends on how you want to measure success I guess.

Paul
i agree w/ the "some ppl have better places to hunt then other" i garentee you boys w/ the over 100 plus mark wouldnt even come close if you tried hunting in maine
Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

This is a question I really don't care answer especially if I think people are keeping score. How many have I killed, or many could I have killed? Some people have better places to hunt than others, others have more deer in the area, others have more time to hunt, some people can legally kill more deer than others, you name it the list can go on and on.

I manage to kill a deer every season I hunt, I don't hunt every year. I usually kill one deer a year, be it with a bow or gun. I don't have a lot of opportunities to hunt or a lot of land I can hunt so my resources are pretty limited. I normally only hunt one stand, if I'm lucky I can get two up. And I will be honest I don't hunt as hard as most either. I have a pretty physical job that requires me to get up very early in the morning (3 am) and I have a family. So sometimes hunting is more hassle that it's worth to me. I will be honest and say I'm not as hardcore as some of you are when it comes to hunting. I do it because it is something I enjoy, when it starts to take so much effort that it's not enjoyable anymore or puts a strain on my home life I don't see the point behind it. I'm not doing it because I'm out to prove anything to anyone.

Let's just say I've killed a lot less deer than I could have if I really put my mind to it. But on the other hand I have never bought a tag that I didn't fill. All depends on how you want to measure success I guess.

Paul
i agree w/ the "some ppl have better places to hunt then other" i garentee you boys w/ the over 100 plus mark wouldnt even come close if you tried hunting in maine
x3 for SC.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

A little under 20 deer with the bow. Most years we only get one or 2 tags in the zone I hunt. A few of them have been bucks but not to many. I'm very picky on what I shoot when it comes to bucks.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

What exactly were you using?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM

9 deer total in 6 years of hunting. 3 bow kills all being bucks, year and a halfers. 6 gun kills biggest one being a 3.5 9 pt.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly don't know exactly, somewhere around 175 or so.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously many states have dramatically different rules, regs and limits so the number should vary considerably from hunters from different states. Here in Illinois we can tag 2 bucks per season but there is NO LIMIT of Antlerless deer, so a bowhunter can seriously whack 'em and stack 'em here! I'm not to concerneced about the number of deer I tag every season as I'm generally pretty wrapped up in chasing that one magnum "cornfed" buck. However, I try to make it a point to fill several Doe tags every season. I usually take 6 to 10 bowkills per season and a couple more with my Muzzleloader. After more than 20 years of bowhuntin', I guess that would add up to a fairly impressive pile of deer!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:22 PM

I've been hunting since 1998, but I've only shot 3 deer. One year and a half old buck and two does. Not very impressive compared to others, but I am satisfied to no end. I only gun hunt so with working and with a nine day deer gunseason, I can usually get out 3-4 days. Two years ago I got a muzzleloader so that adds 1-3 days. I never even shot a gun until I was in my mid thirties so all of this is new to me. I'm self taught in many ways. Some years I never even see a deer in range. I've let a lot of little bucks walk (except for one because that was my first deer ever, LOL!). Last year, I finally had a HUGE 10 point standing in front of me broadside at 30 yards. Biggest live deer I have ever seen up close. My heart was racing because it was so exciting!!!!!! Well, I didn't shoot because I was on a special area hunt and I had drawn an anterless deer only tag. DOH! Very exciting though as he browsed and mingled in front of me for 5 maybe 10 minutes. Pretty cool having them never even know you are there.

Sometimes I wish I hunted where it is common to see a lot of deer when you go out and hunt. But when it comes down to it, there is always something to watch. I just love being out in the woods!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably somewhere around 15-17 with shotguns and muzzleloaders. And one with my truck this past season, first time this ever happened and I hope it's the last. We all shouldn't be so quick to nit-pick on hunters who have killed a lot of deer. Who cares if someone has killed over 100 deer. As long as they aren't breaking any laws and the population supports it I'm all for them. I'dcan certainlyshoot more than one or two a year but only take what I can use. If there was more than the 3 in my family I'd be after more.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive killed 6 in 8 years

Quick Reply: How many deer have you killed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.