HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   good spot for tree stand>? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/247790-good-spot-tree-stand.html)

mossbergman11 05-30-2008 08:58 PM

good spot for tree stand>?

i was wondering about the place ment of stands. can i just have one in the opn like a blind? i have never hunted with stands before.
thanks

mossbergman11 05-31-2008 09:47 AM

RE: good spot for tree stand>?

i guess what i actually mean is how do i find a good location to set a stand?
do i need lots of cover?

Rory/MO 05-31-2008 09:51 AM

as long as you have background cover, you should be okay, you just dont want to stick out too much.

mossbergman11 05-31-2008 09:53 AM

ill take a pic of one i set up to see if its good;)

Pope94/IA 05-31-2008 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

as long as you have background cover, you should be okay, you just dont want to stick out too much.
like rory said just have good back ground and you should be alright.

now where to place it... I my self like being in thicker type areas.

Some things to look for would be food sources such as open fields. Being close to water is a good idea to, along with some shelter for the deer.

I love where my stand is beause there is this 20 acre timber land that I hunt in and im about 100-200 yards from a corn fieldthat deer are always in and then if you pass my stand and go about 400-500 yards you will find a creek. Around me is good shelter too because its thick.

mossbergman11 05-31-2008 09:57 AM

yeah i got a creek right near it 10 yards and there are 3 trails conjooinf there with tracks all over
yesterday i cleared some honeysuckle for shooting lanes but ill get a pic of it in a couple hours for ya guys

Pope94/IA 05-31-2008 09:59 AM

trails are a good thing to look for... If you can find a main path that has all sorts of animal tracks in it then more then likely deer with go there aswell.

Another good thing about my stand is that there is over 20 differant trails leading right down to where im at. (there is a small water runway that goes right under my stand that leads down to the creek)

mossbergman11 05-31-2008 10:10 AM

goin to get pic now

mossbergman11 05-31-2008 08:30 PM

will tomorrow lol

GTOHunter 05-31-2008 10:54 PM

You don't want to put up a ladder stand right out in the open on a field edge,but if you step it back a little behind a few tree's with plenty of cover you'll be just fine.I was going to put my ladder stand on the very front tree over-looking a big open CRP field and my friend told me to put it back about 2 tree's deeper and it is in great cover and the deer are always walking past it,since then I have shot several deers from that very same stand.A climbing stand would work closer to a field edge if you can get it high enough to be covered and your scent will be less detected by a deer.Another thing to consider is being able to get into your stand and leave it without being seen by any deer in that area.