Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Plan to hunt africa?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Plan to hunt africa?

Just curious how many of you plan/expect to hunt africa? Or if you already have and if you'd go back/going back?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Plan to hunt africa?

I would love to hunt in Africa under normal fair chase conditions, not on some high fence ranch like 99% of the televised hunts you see on TV. Most of those hunts the outcome has been decided and paid for long before the camera starts rolling.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been to Africa as a tourist, don't care to return as a hunter, I've got much better things to spend that much coin on.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think south africa is notorious for canned/high fenced hunts, not sure if they dominate in other countries of africa, I do know there are still many places to hunt in africa fair chase, though it comes at a premium $$.

My father was talking to a guy who went to south africa, took I can't remember how many animals, but a lot! Airfare, lodging, the hunts, mounting, shipping, everything cost I want to say less than $7,000. I was shocked. I agree if I hunt africa, I want to do it how it was meant to be. I know many of those high fenced places market it as you'll never see a fence...100,000 sq miles or acres etc.....but I don't buy all of that, heard from others about the animals being tame......driving out to them, pick one, shoot it.

I do want a cape buffalo though, and maybe some plains game.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are other things I would rather spend my money on, if I had enough to afford such a hunt, for example a Z06 Corvette or other expensive luxuries. Realistically, I would prefer to make a bunch of other travel trips rather than hunt Africa. But this is a matter of personal preference, as in hunting generally, so I do not berate others who are inclined to hunt Africa.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it would be pretty cool to hunt Africa. If the desire grows in me a little more, I will make my way over there. Right now its still not that strong. I have some other hunting travels ranking above it. New zeland would also be pretty high on my list too.
I've heard so much trash about africa from people who have never been there. Yet anyone who actually has gone, has never had a bad thing to say.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

If the cost was right.. I would like to go.. Not for Elephant or Lions. I don't think I would get a thrill out of hunting dangerous game.. I would like to go for the Gazells and such..
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't be interested at all. I'll do all my hunting in the USA and Canada
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id love too but its waaaaay too expensive.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I would love to go, my dream animal is a big old Cape Buffalo. I have talked with a couple of guys who went and did the plains game, Gazelle, Antelope, Warthog, Gemsbok, Eland. Before plane flights got crazy you could do it for about $6k-$7k (not including Taxidermy work in the states). But now I look at a flight from San Antonio to South Africa and it was $2400 for the flight. I think you could still do it for less than $10k. Not including Cape Buffalo, they will cost you.

Jake

Quick Reply: Plan to hunt africa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.