HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   wood blinds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/246454-wood-blinds.html)

bigtim6656 05-18-2008 07:52 AM

wood blinds

so i have some privit land i will be hunting
but since this is my first year there and i do not own it i want to spend as little as i can

but i want some cheap ground blinds in two or three spots

any plans or pic on how i should do it
i thought about just droping 2x4 or 4x4 in the ground bolting some plywood or metal roofing on it and doing two or three side i figure two 2xs on each side and a sheet and a half of plywoods so about 25 to 30 bucks for each

and then i could do a little roof or something to keep out the rain

timbercruiser 05-18-2008 09:09 AM

RE: wood blinds

Unless you have the materials already, I don't think you will be able to build one for 30 bucks. Metal ladder stands in that area might not work, but they are the most cost effective IMHO. Easy to move, cheap, safer than wooden stands, and you can see well in most places better than being on the ground.

wis_rifle_hunter 05-18-2008 09:18 AM

My dad and I make blinds out of dead trees and branches. We find 2 trees that are right next to each other and then we go and find branches and just start building up and around the trees until its high enough to sit in and not get seen by deer. It seems to work:D

daughenbaughredneck 05-18-2008 11:50 AM

i believe the best way to make one is just that. To use whatever dead branches and leaves we find. Their are never so much of a good camo as to use what God has given use in natural camo. i have built makeshift blinds before and they have worked well. Just make it a few months early so the deer get use to seeing the difference before the hunting pressure starts. try to stay away from bransches that yuou cut down full of leaves. If you do do that know that when you come back in the fall that your blind my be a little skimpy on cover for the leaves had died and fell off so thicken it up real good.

Jasonlester 05-18-2008 01:04 PM

plywood will cost more than 30 buck. make some out of branches etc. that wood is all free. or get a few treestands

Remnard 05-18-2008 02:27 PM

I think he wants some shelter though. maybe make out of branches and use something for a roof.

lorddal 05-18-2008 02:46 PM

I have made several out of dead and down trees and brush on my Paps land when it comes to a roof I have two heavy duty camo ponchos I tie across the top ones alpenflage the other top one is advantage camo and I use a branch to prop it up a little

bigtim6656 05-19-2008 06:56 AM

i have a two man ladder stand i for tree hunting i will use it in the thick of the woods
i plan to buy a large pop up blind for moving around
this place is one mile to 0ne and a half from my door so i will hunt there 90% of my time

i would like to build one cheap ground blind to hunt in the rain that will keep me dry and semi warm
and a few just for cover

i went to lowes yesterday and the 30 dollar deal went out the window

6.00 for treated 2x4s 8.99 for 4x4s and arouns 28.00 for plywoods

i think one option is i take some 4x4s build three sides use 2bys for cross support and use some metal roofing due to it being lightweight
that will get me a weather blind to keep me dry

and just building a few limb blinds now i might use a few 2x2s to build the blinds with limbs so i can have them where i want them

these will all be ground blinds i will not use a wood tree stand
quote]ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Unless you have the materials already, I don't think you will be able to build one for 30 bucks. Metal ladder stands in that area might not work, but they are the most cost effective IMHO. Easy to move, cheap, safer than wooden stands, and you can see well in most places better than being on the ground.
[/quote]

Jack Ryan 05-19-2008 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

so i have some privit land i will be hunting
but since this is my first year there and i do not own it i want to spend as little as i can

but i want some cheap ground blinds in two or three spots

any plans or pic on how i should do it
i thought about just droping 2x4 or 4x4 in the ground bolting some plywood or metal roofing on it and doing two or three side i figure two 2xs on each side and a sheet and a half of plywoods so about 25 to 30 bucks for each

and then i could do a little roof or something to keep out the rain
Use some wooden factory pallets. You can get them free in about any town in the country. I wire three together,usually between a couple trees, with baling wire. Leave the last one loose to just lean up for a door. Put a piece of wood across in the back for a seat or put a garage sale lawn chair in there. I put a piece of salvaged barn metal on top for a roof.

The space between the slats is perfect to shoot through in any direction.

fastetti 05-19-2008 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

Use some wooden factory pallets. You can get them free in about any town in the country. I wire three together,usually between a couple trees, with baling wire. Leave the last one loose to just lean up for a door. Put a piece of wood across in the back for a seat or put a garage sale lawn chair in there. I put a piece of salvaged barn metal on top for a roof.

The space between the slats is perfect to shoot through in any direction.
Couldn't agree more. We have a few well constructed blinds that people spent well over $500 on and the one that has seen more bucks in the past 5 years is one on the ground made of 2x4s and plywood.

If you can't get the plywood from a construction site or something along that lines. I would do what Jack said with the pallets. Personally, I would take 2 2x4's and hammer them at the edge of the front pallet for stability and wire the other two on the side. Also, I would try to place it with a larger tree at your back. It wil break up your outline. The one I use is plywood side with a large tree at my back. You can throw some branches in the pallet slits and it will break it up quite nicely.

If you want a roof, you can get some longer 2x4s and attach a piece of plywood at the top and if you have your back to a tree you atttched the back of the plywood tothe tree and you have your self a roof. Theses are just my thoughts. Ive used the brush pile idea before and has worked, but with a little work and minimal $$ this type of blind would work great and give youa little bit more cover. Just my $0.02. Good Luck!