Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stolen Stands need some ideas

Old 05-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Spike

Default Stolen Stands need some ideas

Hey guys I would like to hearsome creative ideas on how to keep thieves off my property. I recently had 5 locked ladder stands stolen, and its a damn good thing I didn't see them doing it. They would have been mistaken for coyotes.[:@]
Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stolen Stands need some ideas

how were they locked up? cable? chain? what size? what kind of locks?

I"d really like to see a gps thing to mount to em to track em down.

My advice is some really heavy chain.......

stealing stands is something I think bored country guys do for fun....sure seems that way, i mean really who would steal stands? low lifes, i think these clowns just think hey I can get away with it.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Dont leave them in the woods espesially during the off season. I have tried to chain them up before, short of a 50lb logging chain, you cant put out much that a high power rifle cant saw through.
The only thing a chain does is keep bow-hunters from being theives.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Use hang on stands and buy a pair of tree gaffs/spikes and learn how to climb. I work for the pwr company and just use pole gaffs but you really should have ones for trees b/c the spike is a little longer .
Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I barely have enough time to hang new stands, let alone take down existing ones and re-hang them!!!

ORIGINAL: shamlin

Dont leave them in the woods espesially during the off season. I have tried to chain them up before, short of a 50lb logging chain, you cant put out much that a high power rifle cant saw through.
The only thing a chain does is keep bow-hunters from being theives.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that i would make time totake down the stands for most of the year if the option was having to replace five of them. If you leave stands, game cams, etc. out in the woods for much of the year, stuff like that is gonna happen. It shouldnt be that way, but.......
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Spike

Land mines?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I have never had a stand stolen. My secret? I have never left a stand in the woods. Sad to say, this is the only sure way. [:@]
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM

Huge lag bolts . Then mash the corners on the head with a chisel ,so they can't get a socket on them .They may try a creasnt wrench on them but they will give up on it .Make sure you drill and bolt though the frame .

[/align]
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I have found is to have a seperate stand from the ladder or use foot pegs that screw into the tree (Not my first choice, since I don't want to harm the tree but better than loosing a $150 stand). I'll leave the stand up and just remove the ladder until a week before the season and soon after. With Pegs I'll just put them up on my last preseason scouting trip and hope for the best. If someone can steal your stand without a ladder being there, you know it was a neighbor or someone local that knows your property. Hauling a ladder onto someone elses property from a road is pretty risky. People who steal stands are about as high on the ladder as birdsh*t to me. Good luck and if you find the person who did it, try to get a before and after picture when you're done with him, we'll use it as a warning to all stand stealers!!

Quick Reply: Stolen Stands need some ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.