Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do? >

Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

So yesterday I watched North American Whitetail, and the Dr.Deer guy talked about a study they did, and it said how a deer, all the deer in the area within 3days know exactly where that new stand is.....

I think his point was to set up your stand each time you go to hunt......

Is this what all of you guys do? only use climbers, haul them in/out everytime you go to hunt?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

I have before, but that was on public land. Now ileave mystandsin thehunting clubs year round, Icouldn't and wouldn't move all my ladderstands. i just leave my climbers in the woods if i am coming to hunt it multiple times a weekend.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

That does not make sense to me.

Sure, deer will realize there is a new 'something' in their woods. After time they will realize it presents no threat and simply consider it as just another part of their territory.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats crap. I missed a 8 point twice this year from the same stand with him standing 25 yards away each time withing about5 yards of each place.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it depends upon the area and the stand..We have 9 different box stands on our 3 farms and kill multiple deer out of them each year...I use a climber when not in a box and will change positions as the season progresses, sometimes a move of 100 yards away put you back where the deer are...

As far as 3 hunts, it really depends upon how you enter the stand area and how you are able to play the wind...I never hunt an area when the wind is wrong...I've got one tree that I hunted about 15 times last year and bow killed 3 deer out of it...Even with that much hunting, I was still seeing deer, simply because it is in the right place and I seldom get busted there...

Of course I'm sure if he is a Dr, he must know way more than I do...
Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I think it all depends on how much you make them aware of your presence. I've had the best luck out of my climber and hang on with sticks just moving in setting up and getting out.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

you notice when your wife buys a new couch and it apears one day in the living room dont you?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

If you put your stand up long before season, they'll just react to it like any other tree in the forest after a few days or weeks.

If you put it up 2 days before season, it's still going to smell like you, your garage, the bed of your truck and everything else long into the hunting season.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 PM

I'm with joe ,of couse they know.But do they fill danger about it or not is up to you. If you put it in early they get used to it and get confordable about it .The wise old bucks may never get confordable about it.But bring on the rut and anything could happen.

[/align]
Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ladder stands are up year around, they get used to them being there. No problem.....

Quick Reply: Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.