HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   35 Whelen for Deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/240869-35-whelen-deer.html)

broey1 04-05-2008 06:10 AM

35 Whelen for Deer

A few of my buddies like to bust my chops for using a 35 Whelen for East Coast (PA, WV, VA, NC, SC) Whitetails. I was wondering what you all thought? I own 11 rifles including a .260, 7mm-08, .270, and .30-06. I know these are all great deer rounds, but here's why I like the 35.

My first deer gun was an old 35 Remington. Most of my buddies back then used 30-30s (it was 45 years ago!), so I was rather unique for using the 35. Well, in my formative years with the 35 Remington I hit several deer which I had to track a long way.... someI got, some I didn't. Now as a grown man, I realize the problem was me. However as a 15 year old I thought the 35 Remington didn't have enough power. So, I saved and saved and eventually bought a .350 Remington Magnum (partially because it was a 35 caliber and partially because it said 'magnum'.... I was a kid what did I know?) Anyway, probably due to the fact I was now 17 years old & a better shot.... I started dropping all kinds of deer with that old .350 Rem Mag!

Well, the years went buy & sold my .350 and acquired other rifles. Eventually, in 1988 Remington chambered the 35 Whelen. I never lost my love for the 35 caliber, so I bought one!!! I've been using that same 1988 Remington 700 for the last 20 years!

So, now my buddies in several deer camps like to laugh at me for bringing an elk gun to a deer camp (I find that funny since some of them love the 7mm mags & 300 mags so much for whitetails).

Anyway, with my 225 gr handloads I always get a nice exit hole & the deer rarely go more than 30 yards after their hit. Since my Whelen is slower than their wizz magnums, I don't get near as much bloodshot meat either.

I ask all of you to settle this argument.... who is correct my pals or me?

bugsNbows 04-05-2008 06:20 AM

RE: 35 Whelen for Deer

YOU ARE! It's your choice to use whatever legal weapon (rifle / caliber in this case) you want. Heck, I've been known to tote my .444 Marlin just because I want too. Tell your friends to find something more critical to worry about. In other words, pound sand. Good luck and have fun.

Remnard 04-05-2008 07:54 AM

I have a 35 whelen and a 338-06 and shoot Eastern whitetails with them. I dont g.a.s. what anyone says.

skybuster20ga 04-05-2008 07:55 AM

imlove hearing about guys who still carry the big 35's. thats what i use and i love them all. ive never seen a deer ever quiver after i hit them w/ either my whelens or any of my 350 mags. my question is why on earth did you sell that 350!??? ide take that over my whelens almost everytime. defanite deer killers pretty much w/ any shot placment your gonna get your deer. ide ake that slower mid 2000's over a hyper 3200fps cartridge any day

L8KER 04-05-2008 07:40 PM

I use a 450 Marlin most of the time. I love the big "slow" bullets. I load my 44 mag slow too. I shoot 255 grain Keith style bullets at about 1050 - 1100 FPS. I think the ol 35 is a great deer gun.

timbercruiser 04-06-2008 07:04 AM

In my area of the south I don't think I've ever seen a .35 Whelen, but that doesn't mean that it is a good deer caliber. I think that any centerfire rifle will kill a deer, and ifa .35satisfies your hunting style then use it.

tschaef 04-06-2008 08:19 AM

One fellow brings one up to our deer camp, no one questions it, except the odd "what the heck is that?" when someone spots a cartridge sitting on a shelf.

L8KER 04-07-2008 11:29 PM

You want to talk about questions. I used my H&R Ultra Slug Gun a few years ago in "rifle" country up north. Walking around with a 10 -12 pound single shot shotgun on your shoulder will sure get the locals attention. Put them all at rest though when I took a grandma 7.5 year old doe at 106 yards with it. She didn't move after being hit. Kinda fun having a different gun when hunting sometimes. I love my 450 Marlin though.

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-08-2008 05:22 AM

My very good friend Rich hunts with the 35Whelen and loves it. He has taken deer and bear with it, without any problems. Oh FYI, he hunts Pike County, PA

ipscshooter 04-08-2008 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: broey1

Anyway, with my 225 gr handloads I always get a nice exit hole & the deer rarely go more than 30 yards after their hit.
Must be a good choice... It performs just like my .243. :D

I ask all of you to settle this argument.... who is correct my pals or me?
It's all a matter of personal preference. If you hit where you aim, and the deer die expeditiously, then who cares what anyone else thinks? Use what you like, what you shoot well and what you've had success with...