Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Average Size Buck

Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Default Average Size Buck

Everyone talks about the big one. I was wonder what would be a normal sized antlers on a buck for central kentucky? You know if on any given day you saw a buck about what size rack would it have?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average Size Buck

Average at what age? If you say an average 3 1/2 year old I think you are going to be 130" or so. If you are talking about an average2 1/2 year old then it would proably be closer to 100". If you let that "average" buck live another year or two it would probably get up around 150".
Old 02-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on the area and hunting pressure ...oh yeah genetics in that area....

Usually when I see bucks around here they are 100" or less. On occasion 130 or better but they try not to be seen.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM

I understand how it works. But because of the above mentioned reasons here 100 is great. I am leasing some land in central kentucky this coming year. What I wanted to know really is what is the likelihood that I see bucks larger than 100in and if so how abundant in general do they seem to be.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM

what county is your lease?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 PM

breckinridge
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in NC, but the average by the number of deer seen has got to be a small 4 or 5 point. You see some 2 1/2 yr deer afew times a year, and a few spikes. I only see a big 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 yr old deer about once every 2-4 years. Maybe its better there.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 AM

that sounds alot like here in alabama. your best deer are on camera moving at night.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Where I live 100 inches is about average I would say. The rut is when the big ones really come out of the wood work. Outside the rut they are hardly ever seen.

I used to do a lot of scouting in the summer months and have come to the conclusion that it didn't make that much of a difference. I hardly ever seen the big ones. Then the rut would roll around and there they were. Would never see them until then.

Now, after I fill my tag I will still go out during the season (without a gun of course) and up until they start shedding. Our firearms season is during the rut in Nov.but the bucks will still be checking does long after, well into Dec. Its a good way to see what kind of bucks are in the area. Then do some shed hunting into April. Save the summers for fishing.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

I live here in south central KY and it is not uncommon for me to se several pope and young bucks each year,though I might not have a shot oppritunity during bow season,I always cash in on early muzzle loader or gun season,KY is a good place to kill a P&Y or a B&C,I watched a P&Y for three weeks this year and took my friends son to kill it during youth weekend,I was happy for him the main frame 8 point had 13 scorable points,10.5 G-2,23" mains a 4.5"drop on the right and a 3.25"drop on the left,in all 141" and some change,man you are talking about one excited 11 year old boy.I had been passing on this deer,with hopes my 10 year old daughter could kill it,come hunting week end she decided to go to a ball game instaed of go hunting(thats girls for you) so I took my friends son.There should be some good deer in that area I commonly see 120's and every now and then some bigger,just depends on hunting pressure on nearby farms,size of lease,number of hunters that killed deer on that land in the last few years,there are so many factors,frequent human intrusion into bedding or hiding areas,to many things will determine the size,we have good soil,good genetics and one buck a year limit.It should be good.

Quick Reply: Average Size Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.