Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Good Deer Hunting Reference Book? >

Good Deer Hunting Reference Book?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good Deer Hunting Reference Book?

Old 02-18-2003, 07:14 AM

Default Good Deer Hunting Reference Book?

I have never been deer hunting before, but my new father-in-law has invited me on his annual hunting trip next fall. He knows that I have no experience, but I want to try to become as familiar with the sport as possible before then. I am an avid fisherman, and have been looking forward to getting into deer hunting for sometime now.

I am wondering if anyone can make a recommendation on a good deer hunting reference guide for a beginner. What I really need to start me out is " The Complete Idiot' s Guide to Deer Hunting" or " Deer Hunting for Dummies" , but I don' t know if there is such a thing (I did look on the web). I would like something that discusses different caliber' s of rifles and their applications, as well as the various strategies for the actual hunt.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Good Deer Hunting Reference Book?

Check out the books by Leonard Lee Rue. Good books

Otherwise watch the movie ummmmmm, Escababa? It' s about hunting WT deer.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off welcome to the board and the sport of hunting. I would say you' ve found one resource all ready and thats here. You have at your key board many experienced and avid hunters who can probably answer any specific question you need to know about deer hunting or hunting in general. Books, mags and videos are other sources. I would think if you haven' t taken a hunter safety course that maybe an excellent starting point or join a sportsman club for some local support. Although a real good way and would help with the family relations, is talk with your new father in law. If he has asked you knowing you have no experience, than he doesn' t mind teaching...so just ask him!!!

As to caliber that is personal..for WT deer 243 up. I would say 270, 3006, 308 are pretty standard, with minimal recoil (or Kick) and will get the job done.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 AM

Basserman, I believe the movie with Jeff Daniels was called " Escanabe in Da Moonlight " or something close to it. More of a Deer Camp movie isn' t it?[8D]

If it' s free, it' s worth saving up for.

If you don' t know where to start, go back to the beginning.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Yup and I was only joking
Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 AM

A good joke too, as soon as I read your reply, I started laughing and haven' t stopped since. Still want to get me a rabbit hat like Jeff Daniels...
Old 02-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

congradulations on joining the hunting fraternity.like skeeter says you have the keyboard in front of you.you can' t ask a book specific questions,although they help pass the time away.I' ve read litterally dozens upon dozens of books,and sooner or later they all start repeating themselves and sounding the same.Save your money and just keep reading these threads.Ask away and these fine sportsman will give you advice after that its in your court or should I say range. ps let us know what state you' ll be hunting ,that may help some. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-19-2003, 06:51 AM

Thanks to all of you responded. By the way, I looked up the Escanaba movie,and it looks like a winner! Looks like it may be an outdoorsman' s " Dumb and Dumber" .

I picked up a cheap book at WalMart last night while I was there checking out inexpensive Savage and Weatherby rifles. It has already helped give me a baseline knowledge of the whitetail and the basic strategies of hunting. This has already made magazine articles and forum readings more meaningful to me.

JeseyHunter - I' ll be Whitetail hunting in Idaho this October.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have been deer hunting for a lot of years. When my brother-in-law gave me a " deer hunting book" for a birthday, I thanked him but thought I would not find much use for it. WRONG! The book is an Outdoor Life book " DEER HUNTER' S YEARBOOK" 11 th Edition. There are some great articles in it. It is a good book for the beginner hunter and even an " old dog" can glean some valuable and interesting info from it. (ISBN: 0-696-11137-3)

There are some good videos for hunter info as well. When reading a book sometimes you don' t understand the descriptions of the habitats. In a good video you see it. Paul Brunner' s " THE SECRET ART OF TREE STAND HUNTING" is one I like. Dick Idol has a good one called something like " HUNTING THE 4 PERIODS OF THE RUT" . Roger Raglin has a bunch that are entertaining and informative.

Robin
Old 02-19-2003, 01:33 PM

I found a lot of great material online and spent hours looking for decent books. I was looking for a specific type of book to help me with the way I wanted to hunt and more specific as to where I wanted to hunt. Found several good ones but also wasted some money on a couple of bad online purchases too. I am not one to buy the hunting videos but I would buy a video on " WhiteTail Behavior" or the kind.

The " Escanabe " movie is a Deer Camp spoof, good for a laugh or two or three. Made me bust a gut.

Good Luck with the book hunting!