Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Lease ?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Lease ?

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I don't lease, and never will.Leasing is the cancer of huntingandit only gets worse with each passing year.If you can afford to leaseyou can afford to buy, and in the end it will be all yours.
REALLY???? I belong to a hunt club that has 220,000 acres in 6 States. My club dues are $984 per year. You think I could buy 220,000 acres and pay less than $1000 a year for it? Think about it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kickin,

Leasing does make sense in many instances. But, keep in mind that lease rates are starting to rise very dramatically, and that the landowner is generally the one that controls things in negotiating future arrangements since it is now a sellers market. Think about a scenario where in the not too distant future that same lease arrangement would cost you 10K a year. But for now, sounds like you got a good deal.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

LCC, I could not agree with you more. In fact, I have encountered this and don't understand myself why people are willing to pay crazy money for lease. In prime parts of Illinois leases are going for as high as $80-$90 per acres. In a case like that, I agree they buying is the best option. However, Kevin states that if you can afford to lease, then can afford to purchase. Look at the cost of most of the leases people are putting on here. You cannot even pay the property taxes for what some of these people are paying for their lease. That one guy is paying $450 a year, not too bad if you ask me considering the cost of owning.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wont try to speak for Kevin (well maybe just a little), but i think that his opposition to leasing is more of an issue of the principle of the matter in conjunction with economic considerations.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM

with high lease costs many young family men cant budget in a lease, that and over crowded public lands its hard to introduce young people into the sport tocarry on our hunting traditions. this is the main reason hunting license sales are slipping in most states so help your friends and coworkers out and take them and their kids out hunting. Most people if they ever have a positive hunting exp. will not become anti hunters.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM

don't understand myself why people are willing to pay crazy money for lease.
If you have the money and want a quality hunting spot, why not?Might be crazy to us now, but if were in their shoes (and carried their wallets), it might seem less crazy.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mizzouhunter

don't understand myself why people are willing to pay crazy money for lease.
If you have the money and want a quality hunting spot, why not?Might be crazy to us now, but if were in their shoes (and carried their wallets), it might seem less crazy.
Very true statement Mizzouhunter. My dad taught me that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I understand why there are leases out there, I understand why some choose to lease ground, I understand why some choose not to lease ground. I don't understand the crazy money some are willing to spend, but like you said, I don't have their wallet, so maybe it is only crazy money to me (and my small wallet).
Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest problem with leasing land to hunt is that there is no guaranteed future to it. With the paper companies getting out of the land owning business and the potential of a private landowner selling/leasing the land to somebody else you can put a lot of time and money into a tract of land getting the managed and the food plots established only to lose it with no recourse. I know, I lost two tracts I had leased this year and I know of a lot of paper company land that is for sale and those hunters will probably lose their hunting land..
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hunt 400 acres in southwestern GA and I don't pay anything. I hunt with a farmer who works for the landowner and hunting land is one of the employee perks. He goes to the church I pastor at. Most people around here pay anywhere from $7-$15 an arce depending on how good it is.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

The biggest problem with leasing land to hunt is that there is no guaranteed future to it. With the paper companies getting out of the land owning business and the potential of a private landowner selling/leasing the land to somebody else you can put a lot of time and money into a tract of land getting the managed and the food plots established only to lose it with no recourse. I know, I lost two tracts I had leased this year and I know of a lot of paper company land that is for sale and those hunters will probably lose their hunting land..
It happened to my dad and brother- theylost a club lease last year they had for 13 yrs that was trophy managed, and yes, it was prime paper company land.

I am going to pay my club dues this month and they are a WHOPPING$610 and $800. That'sto hunt60,000 and 110,000 acres- you won't hear me bad-mouthing the paper companies anytime soon....

Quick Reply: Hunting Lease ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.