Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whitetail hunting in Canada... >

Whitetail hunting in Canada...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail hunting in Canada...

Old 02-17-2003, 09:55 AM

Default Whitetail hunting in Canada...

This question goes out to everyone that knows the process to get across the border with rifles. To explain my situation a bit...My buddy and I are going to Ontario to whitetail hunt in early Nov. The outfitter that we are staying with has offered for us to go up there and stay for free...just hunt. I suppose I could call the outfitter and ask, but since he is allowing us to stay for nothing....I wanted to try to find out the info on my own and with all of your help. This will be my 1st out of state hunting experience, so I just want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row. So any info would be great and I really appreciate it!!

Are there forms that need to be filled out in advance(before we get to the border)? If so, do you have the link so I can print them out?

Do we need to bring an old or current MN license with us?

What are Ontario' s hunting seasons?

Anything else that you can add would be great!!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail hunting in Canada...

The " Canadian Firearms Centre" has a website (www.cfc.gc.ca). It has the information that you need. If you can sort it out. Be sure that you have it all right well before you hit the boarder or you could be in for a big disappointment.

Robin
Old 02-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Ask your guide for this info as it maybe diffrent for each province?
Old 02-17-2003, 05:35 PM

Ive got friends that come from Michigan to hunt waterfowl with me.. What they do is register there guns at the border when they come over(ontario side). It costs $50 cdn per gun,, this is good for 1 year. You will need a current or old hunting lic. to purchase a lic. over here(non-res tag I believe is around $160 cdn).

Depending on where you are going the gun deer season can be from anytime in mid october to the third week of november,, the general firearm deer season is the first full week of november,, starting on the monday and running for 2 weeks, alot of areas there is no sunday hunting.

May I ask where you will be hunting, and what outfitter?
Old 02-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Manitoba but this may help you, it is a quote from my hunting regs......

" To bring firearms into Canada for huting,visitors need to report their firearms to Customs at the border, compete a non-resident firearm declaration form in triplicate, and pay a $50.00(CDN)fee. Copies of the declaration form are available by calling 1-800-731-4000, or at the eborder, or at www.cfc.gc.ca Non-residents who plan to borrow a firearm in Canada must obtain a Temporary Firearms Borrower`s Licence. Licencing forms are available by caling the above number or by visiting the website. The borrower`s form must be completed before arrival into Canada. The cost of the licence is $30.00(CDN). Handguns and fully automatic weapons are prohibited"

Hope it helps and........good luck Dude!

Ron
Old 02-18-2003, 07:06 AM

Once I again I would like to thank you guys for the info. It' s greatly appreciated. We are only bringing over one rifle a piece, so it shouldn' t be a problem there.

SwampThing....We are hunting in/and around Emo, Ontario. I would tell you the outfitter, but the last time I posted the name I kind of got my hand slapped by the moderators. Shoot me an email and I can tell you there. Plus I may have a couple more questions for you, if that' s ok...?.... My email is [email protected].

Thanks All.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stump, to save yourself time and hassle you should goto the website for the Canadian Firearm Centre and fill out the forms well inadvance of your trip. You will be required to show that at the border and your through. I have heard of long waits at our airport by hunters who did not have the forms done prior. It cost no more, just much quicker and will avoid any unknown or suprise that may or can arise at any border.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:36 AM

Skeeter.....no flying needed here. We are only about a 7 hour drive away from where we need to be. We live near the Twin Cities in MN. Thanks for the info on filling out the forms before hand. I was thinking that also.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stump, my point is do it well inadvance of your arrival at the border. It will save you time and hassle. Our airport is quite small and the waits I heard were pretty long. For those who did it prior it was land clear and gone. I know many outfitters up here and they all provide the form upon booking and suggest they submitingem 3 months in advance of departure. I would think driving in would be or maybe just as long and drawn out with the events of the past 18 months. Just a suggestion.

Hope you enjoy your hunt.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:37 PM

My buddies did it at the ambassador bridge in Windsor/Detroit, 20 minutes and they were out of there!

Quick Reply: Whitetail hunting in Canada...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.