Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Struck out Shed Hunting

Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Struck out Shed Hunting

Looking at the camera the bucks are dropping their antlers but I spent about 3 hours out looking yesterday and didn't find any. (Long enough to get a pretty good sunburn!) I probaby put in 4 or 5 miles but really focused on walking slow and looking.

I looked in the standard places, winter wheat field, fence crossings, trails, etc. plus just wandered around on the property some. I carried my binoculars with me and scanned the field as well as periodically I would just sit and scan trails and any open areas with the binoculars.

Looking at my cameras there should be 3 really nice sheds out there (one big buck is still carrying 1 side) and 3 or 4 small sheds out there. I'm starting to think this is more like looking for a needle in a hay stack!

Any other suggestions on where to look? I haven't checked my sanctuary areas yet but plan to next week. I'm also thinking about bringing my 4 wheeler just so I can cover more ground.

Is this something that I need to spend way more hours out in the field looking, or is this something some people have a knack for or what? With only 160 arces, there is also the distinct possiblity that these bucks might be bedding off my property and could have shed there.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Nathan
[/align]
Old 03-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Struck out Shed Hunting

ORIGINAL: npaden

I'm starting to think this is more like looking for a needle in a hay stack!

That's exactly what my dad told me! Then after 25 hours of shed hunting I proved him wrong and found myself a spike and 6 point shed.

ORIGINAL: npaden

Is this something that I need to spend way more hours out in the field looking, or is this something some people have a knack for or what?
[/align]
I would say a little of both, but nothing can beat puttin a lot of miles on the boots!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

im pretty burned out also
Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive got maybe 6 or 7 hrs in

Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have a little over 20 hours in now. and only two sheds. plus a dead six point skull.... I have learned a lot about where the deer are tho.... and I hope to get some great photos of fawns this spring
Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Was on my way home from work today decided to stop at a small corn field that i've seen deer in ,walk a whole 10 min. found my frist shed boy was i pumped up after that going to try and get out this weekend hoping to find more .
Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Found my first shed yesterday, in the same patch I got my first deer this year. It was chewed some by the critters but it's still a 4 point antler. I was looking for the antlers of a 12 point that's supposedly running around this same area. The area is VERY thick with multiflora rose and other briar/thorn bushes. I'm pretty torn up but finding the one antler made it all worth it. Next time I'll bring leather gloves and a heavier jacket and pants to make my search less painful.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

I have a little over 20 hours in now. and only two sheds. plus a dead six point skull.... I have learned a lot about where the deer are tho.... and I hope to get some great photos of fawns this spring
almost every spring i came within inches of hiting a fawn on my 4wheeler but i havent hit any yet
Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

almost every spring i came within inches of hiting a fawn on my 4wheeler but i havent hit any yet
Thats because they havent been born yet.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

i did the same thing buti used my 4 wheeler to cover alot of ground but was never able to find em, i think the only i would ever find em is if i was doing something else and just walked up on one

Quick Reply: Struck out Shed Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.