HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shot Gun Versus Muzzle Loader (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/238695-shot-gun-versus-muzzle-loader.html)

20 slugs 03-22-2008 08:32 PM

Shot Gun Versus Muzzle Loader

I would like to know what you guys all think I live in a muzzle loader only area no shotgun for the controled deer hunt the muz guys think they own the season and say a shtgn is to dangerous .I hunt in a other area and it is a combined hunt shtgn and muz season I can can go in any direction of my home town and there is a shtgn season.I have been talking to our local MNR and others and getting no help there are 2 muzzle wks and the rest is all bow season I have asked for 1 wk of the bow to be changed to shtgn but they say the bow guys will be ticked our season pretty well starts from Oct to Dec 31st .I would really like to hunt in my own backyard but I don,t want to and can,t really afford to go out and buy a good muzzle loader just for your info I,am in SW ontario thanks for any replys.

brushbustin 03-22-2008 08:47 PM

RE: Shot Gun Versus Muzzle Loader

You can always buy a CVA Wolf Muzzleloader.They sell new for $100 and you hear alot of good things about them.

AmateurHunter44857 03-22-2008 09:01 PM

I think its ridiculous for bow season to be so long, in ohio its from the end of september through february 2nd. Muzzleloaders get 1 week, General gun season (Shotgun,ML) gets 1 week and 2 days. Why can't us shotgun hunters get an extra week, especially with the ODNR complaining about the number of deer?[:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@]

Hoyt_Viper 03-22-2008 09:07 PM

I wish I could hunt more with my muzzleloader! Here our muzzleloader season is 3 weeks and then our firearms season is shotgun only. My CVA Wolf is my favorite gun to carry and shoot, not to mention accurate at 150 yds.

I wish I could use it all the time, outside Bow season!

Rhody Hunter 03-23-2008 06:08 AM

pick up a muzzle loader you will like it. I prefer my muzzle over a shot gun. I find it more accurate and if you use good shot placement on you animals you only need one shot.
I have never had to take multiple shots to take an animal down even when i use a shot gun i only use one shot

stretch56 03-23-2008 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

pick up a muzzle loader you will like it. I prefer my muzzle over a shot gun. I find it more accurate and if you use good shot placement on you animals you only need one shot.
I have never had to take multiple shots to take an animal down even when i use a shot gun i only use one shot
ditto they are a lot of fun to shoot & hunt with

Bake North 03-23-2008 08:41 AM

Hey 20 slugs Iam from southern ontario as well and to tell you the truth I wish they would extend our muzzy season.I understand what you are saying though, We get 2 weeks to hunt with shotgun in november then our muzzy season starts the first week of december(wish it was longer).The last 2 years I have used my muzzleloader for the shotgun hunt.That's the nice thing about the muzzy's you don't have to spend a lot of money to get started.In our area you are lucky to see anyone during the muzzy season,believe me try it and you will be addicted.

Hoyt_Viper 03-23-2008 08:58 AM

Its nice that you can use a muzzy during shotgun season! I would prefer to use my muzzy all firearm season, but its illegal to use a muzzy in shotgun season.

I had 2 deer get away (but later found) from me after being shot during shotgun, and every deer I have shot with my muzzy never made it 5 yrds.

CCPaHunter 03-23-2008 09:31 AM

Get a muzzle loader. They're a blast, I got mine 3 years ago. A day at the range is a lot of fun.

kcouny 03-25-2008 02:41 PM

Bought a tc omegaa couple years ago love the accuracyt havent picked up the shotgun since. Ive taken severeal deer with it past 100 yards never had the guts to trylon shotswith a shotgun.