Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot Gun Versus Muzzle Loader

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot Gun Versus Muzzle Loader

I bought my first muzzleloader, a CVA Wolf a little over a year ago. I filled both my Illinois tags with it this past fall. I just picked up my second muzzleloader a couple of weeks ago, a Knight KRB7. I've hunted deer with a slug gun all my life, and will always bring a slug gun to deer camp as a foul weather gun/backup. But, my first choice in the stand will be one of my muzzleloaders from now on.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love Muzzle loaders too.

but my shotgun offers me 2 extra shots if I need them. I would never take a shot at one running. But I have needed the extra round to put a deer down for good. I don't like to let them suffer if I can help it. During Shotgun season here I either have my shot gun or my selfbow. My shotgun is very acurate too. 150 isn't a stretch for it. And most places I hunt 100 yards is it. My muzzle loader goes when its season is in though and I'd love to actually get a flintlock and use it too.

But like others have said if there is a muzzle loader season. Go find you a decent ML for 100 bucks and get out there. You also may find a used one somewhere. Just check the bore out realy good. And if its an inline pull the plug so you know its not stuck.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting with both the shotgun and muzzleloader for deer, but my passion is bow hunting......Try bowhunting
Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

I think its ridiculous for bow season to be so long, in ohio its from the end of september through february 2nd. Muzzleloaders get 1 week, General gun season (Shotgun,ML) gets 1 week and 2 days. Why can't us shotgun hunters get an extra week, especially with the ODNR complaining about the number of deer?[:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@]
i am with you all of the way
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

I think its ridiculous for bow season to be so long, in ohio its from the end of september through february 2nd. Muzzleloaders get 1 week, General gun season (Shotgun,ML) gets 1 week and 2 days. Why can't us shotgun hunters get an extra week, especially with the ODNR complaining about the number of deer?[:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@]
i am with you all of the way
I kinda like it the way it is. Shotgun is in some of the best times to hunt. Now if they were to add a late season (mid Jan)shotgun week I wouldn't be opposed. But it is nice to have sometime to bowhunt deer that aren't spooked by everyone shooting at them. YesOhio has a long season for archery but give it a try. You might just find you like it. Besides Ohio allows crossbows. So you canuse that instead of a bow and hunt the whole time.

Why the need to use only afirearm?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Iowa, you are allowed to use a muzzle loader during the shotgun seasons. This makes it so that here, any way, smoke pole shooter do, in fact, have more opportunity than shotgun hunters.

As to accuracy for long shots, I would say that both are aboout the same. You can have high speed sabot rounds with both, rifled barrels with both, and scoped or open sights on both. I find that what is the deciding factor is your personal confidence and your personal style. I may use my scoped muzzle loader for morning hunts when we take ground ambush stands, then use my 870 pump in the afternoon for still hunting through brush. Had I been using my muzzle loader this year I would not have gotten my deer. My window of opportunity was too brief and cluttered to find the target offhand with the scoped muzzle loader. The 870 with open sights was just the ticket for the only shot that I had.

Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a big spot in my heart for muzzleloaders now. I thinking take my first deer with one. when I first started hunting I used an shotgun. no luck at all. I have not taken but one of my rifles out to the range with me in the last 6 month. it was my sks just to plink.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

agree on Ohio mz season. Not long enough and would like it in laterjanuary. it is hard during xmas holidays to get time to hunt and be away from family.