Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TICK CONTROLL?  What can you do?? >

TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

The main carrier of ticks are whitetail deer, period. Reduce them, reduce the ticks. Take some duct tape and wrap it inside out at your ankles when going in. Any you pick up low will become stuck on the tape. Also get one of those tape lint rollers and roll them around on your body after each outing. The most important thing is to shower after each outing and use a wascloth to scrub your body down. A friend of mine is a surveyor and he taught me this. He has never had Lime disease and neither have I, and I live in Connecticut with some of the hioghest tick/deer populations in the country.

In addition to lime disease there are other diseases now that seem worse than that, babezia I believe is the one that is worse than Lime disease.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM

I do not know firsthand if this is true or not, but a buddy of mine swears by vinegar. He starts drinking a teaspoon of vinegar a day a month before turkey season, and a month before deer season and says he hasnt had a tick bite since he has been doing it.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: halfrack VIII

this is gonna sound ridiculous but i had like five guinea hens, and the year after we got them we souldn't find a tick
I got about 14 running around the farm, and 18 Narragansett Turkeys, about 400 pheasnts, but they are caged up.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that when i wear rubber boots that i don't get ticks. So you might try that.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

Im going to try that replenent.. i looked it up on Cabelas.. they got something.. im going to order that, as well as the insideout, duct tape method.. its just INFESTED in longisland.. i know guys that dont go because they cant deal with the ticks. thanks.. keep any new tricks/ideas commin..
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The duct tape is good but an additional word is in order. Ticks climb up and quest on grass and shrubs. That means they gather in groups, at the plant tips, with their legs open and waiting. When a potential blood meal (warm blooded mammal like a deer, dog or a person) brushes by they hop off and hitch a ride. Then they crawl to the feeding site. That's how they disperse. Therefore, if you tape at the ankles only you may miss some that are questing higher up on grass or bushes.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Hey all. Happy Easter. Where can you find this product? Thanks, Troy.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: corvette69

Hey all. Happy Easter. Where can you find this product? Thanks, Troy.
I am presumimg you mean the Pymetherine. I usually get the Sawyer brand at Dicks Sporting Goods. You can also get the Repel brand at Wally World and most larger drug stores. Not to mention a lot of sources on line. When you get the Repel just make sure that it is odorless, usually I find that it is scented. Typically I spray and let dry overnight and then I wask my clothes in scent free detergent and dry in the dryer with fresh earth dryer sheets. This spray lasts for six weeks and thru multiple washings. I treat my clothing and pack once a month. I have not been bitten by a tick or seen one in the house in three years.

Bob